Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a video of a little test run for a club members new suspension, steering, and 44" swampers. We went up the night before, and did a little camp fire wheeling, (hence the reference in the video to needing another beer to kill his hangover) then hit one quick trail the next day.

Also shown in the video is a bunch of open front diff action, so any of you newbs out there that think that you dont need a locker, pay close attention to how hard of a time I had on some pretty easy climbs. Time to modify my power loc again.

to all the hard core rock crawlers on here.. This is the closest thing to crawlin we have in a 200 mile radius :flipoff2:

Some funny wildlife footage too.

19 meg wmv file http://www.akfabshop.com/movies/Lackeys.wmv

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Funny! The end credit says it all :D
Nice video. Being from California, it always makes me cringe to see people driving over all the green stuff, I mean I know it's all you guys have, but it's still odd to watch because us Calis have to be so god-damned environmental minded all the time.
The vid is long with killer tunes, but it only took a sec to load up.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, that trail grows over green in one winter. It just doesnt get used much cause not very many rigs up here can drive the washout. The trail was created in the early 50's by seisemograph crews while looking for oil, and is generally used only in the fall by Moose hunters on quads. A few years ago, we had about a foot of rain in just a few days, which washed out the trail. For about a year nobody was able to run the trail because of the wash, but our club found it, and have been able to improve the trail to the point were the atvs can use it again, and we can still have fun on it with trucks and jeeps.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Those 45's make the ditch look a lot smaller than it probably is.

I think it's interesting to see how rigs are built so differntly in different parts of the world. I think it would be cool to see what a rig that weighed in at say.......2000 lbs less than those with a 40" tire would do on terrain like that. I wonder if the lower weight would keep it from diggin into the dirt.....

One day I'll make it up there and if I'm lucky I"ll have my rig and some time to go play.

Cody

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You pretty much just saw it... My rig is 5500lbs as you saw it in the video. That comanche is prolly 1500 lbs lighter, and is on 40" I rocks.

I gotta say though... Once a rig drives through that wash, it becomes much easier. The dirt is real soft, and breaks down very quickly. The last ledge that I had a hard time getting up/around was a good 18 to 24" shorter after I floundered around in it for a while.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Cody- Your rig would do well on the terrain up there with a few modifications.

You would need tires with tread on them.

Breather tubes.

and you would need lots of warm clothes.

And yes those washed out roads look way small compared to Brook's Freak. Infact Frostie's Manche looks tiny compared to everything else in that video and it is probably just a little taller than Corey's ZJ.

I am going back to anchortown next spring, you are more than welcome to come along. I am sure Brook will give you a ride in the 513 Caddy Powered Behemouth.

Brook, Frosty- FU guys. Everytime I see that stuff I tear up. I miss AK more and more everyday.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
bgreen said:
Also shown in the video is a bunch of open front diff action, so any of you newbs out there that think that you dont need a locker, pay close attention to how hard of a time I had on some pretty easy climbs. Time to modify my power loc again.
Modify it all you want, it still won't be a locker and it'll still do that again eventually. What's wrong with having a real locker up there? Is there something about that type of four wheeling that makes it impossible?

either way, sweet video. I'd love to come up to AK and play with you guys, it looks like fun (plus I still have a cab, and heat, so it might not be that bad). :D

·
Newb
3,129 Posts
I imagine that having a locker in the front with those agg tires would make parts breakage so common/frequent that it would take a lot of fun out of the wheeling.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
nvrenuf said:
I imagine that having a locker in the front with those agg tires would make parts breakage so common/frequent that it would take a lot of fun out of the wheeling.
I guess I'm the total opposite. Ever since I got my front locker I haven't had to beat on my truck like he did in that video to make a few of those climbs hardly at all.

I understand that a locker can put all the torque on one axleshaft, but what's the difference if you're going to back up and hammer it because you keep spinning one tire?

·
Registered
256 Posts
great video, up here in canada we play in washouts because there isnt much rock :( and a locker makes such a huge difference in climbing those washouts its silly not to have one, my dads jeep is locked front and rear and just crawls up them no problem, where as a buddy with his open dif toyota really has to hammer it to make it, if he does, so i dont see how you would break more stuff with a locker? :confused:

·
Newb
3,129 Posts
Rizon said:
i dont see how you would break more stuff with a locker? :confused:
With the locker you don't have the opportunity for the tire without traction to spin and vent the torque the axle is receiving like with an open diff. Of course, this is assuming you have enough torque and traction at the same time.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
that video is a great ad for arb . it just illustrates the usefulness of a quality locker in the front. arb just takes it one step further and is selectable. that would of been outrageous with front lockers. That power loc was slippin side to side hard. the jeep was just not all there open in the front.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
peesalot said:
that video is a great ad for arb . it just illustrates the usefulness of a quality locker in the front. arb just takes it one step further and is selectable. that would of been outrageous with front lockers. That power loc was slippin side to side hard. the jeep was just not all there open in the front.
I wouldn't call a selectable spool a, "Quality locker".

I'll keep my detroit, thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Had to turn it off for two reasons. 1 the secenery was so nice it made me jelous and 2nd the open diffs was pissing me off. All the work on there rigs even with hydrolock steering and no front locker. Nice video though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I completely agree with everyone about not having a locker in the front. Up till now, there has always been things I felt were more important to spend money on.

Up here, at least for me, reliability has to come before performance, so I have always thought the powerloc would give me what I needed. (Slipping before carnage)

The front axle Im running was "Supposed" to have a locker in it when I bought it. It came with the tires im running and an 8274, so it was a good deal. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the locker was a stock powerloc. Rather than rush out and buy a locker, I figured I'd give it a shot, and see how I liked it. I modified it once, which helped, but with 45" tires it was obviously not enough. I have another modification im going to do to it before I give up on it though. Then, if I still dont like it, I'll bite the bullet and get a locker and gears at the same time. Even with the shitty power lock, I can pretty much break axles, blow hubs, and make u-joints into perfectly good throwing stars, so its not like it doesnt work at all. :D

anyway. if anyone has a locker they would like to give me, I would most definately take it :p

Vendors? Want a little advertising in the Alaskan market? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I just got back from hunting, Diana got a moose and a small blackie, I got a moose and promptly lost almost 1/2 of it to a big grizz. I'd still like to get together and go out on a run before everything freezes solid. You'd like Diana's tires, if we get a chance we'll have to put them on the Freak for a little run, Diana won't give them up for long though.

Gus

·
Newb
3,129 Posts
bgreen said:
... I figured I'd give it a shot, and see how I liked it. I modified it once, which helped, ...
How did you modify the Power Lock? What do you intend to do next to it?

Beautiful scenery and great video! :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts