Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driveshaft let go about a week ago. It is a long spline
unit and it actually popped when I was driving my buggy up on
the trailer. I have run this shaft for a year or so.

Here is a pic of the end of the splines where it was welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the yoke end where they welded the spline end.......what do you think?

If a shaft were to fail (over time)....would you expect this?

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Looks as tho it broke in the area of the weld? I suppose I
wouldn't be surprised a bit to see failure there. Good that it
happened as you were loading rather than on the trail.

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
I always thought the yoke was splined... :confused: If all that was holding the yoke on was a single plug weld, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did...

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Both mine and Chris V's broke the same way. Same builder?
Oscar? I ground the old weld out, rewelded it and then added a weld around the base of the splines. Don't forget to phase it before you re weld it.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
If it was made by Gloco or Arizona Drivlines or what ever they call themselves.

It should! They all do! Oscar sucks! If not disregard my ramblings. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
IS IT POLISHED AROUND THE BROKEN AREA?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
HeyBeerMan said:
If it was made by Gloco or Arizona Drivlines or what ever they call themselves.

It should! They all do! Oscar sucks! If not disregard my ramblings. :flipoff2:
He has a new name again, I can't remember it off of the top of my head. I know of at least one lawsuit he is trying to dodge. We installed about 20 or so of his driveshafts including our own personal rigs before we learned our lesson. So far we have had a 100% failure rate on his stuff. I now use Precision driveline in Phoenix. Great service. Good guys.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
That sucks. Could you clean it up and reuse it, also add a pin through the side or make a few holes and do some plug welds?

·
Registered
612 Posts
zags said:

He has a new name again, I can't remember it off of the top of my head. I know of at least one lawsuit he is trying to dodge. We installed about 20 or so of his driveshafts including our own personal rigs before we learned our lesson. So far we have had a 100% failure rate on his stuff. I now use Precision driveline in Phoenix. Great service. Good guys.
Damn, that sucks. I have one of their long splines as well. What do I need to do to reinforce it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
They shouldnt of welded it in the inside of the yoke.. around the splined set up would of been much stronger..

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Gkzed said:

Damn, that sucks. I have one of their long splines as well. What do I need to do to reinforce it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Weld it around where the splines meet the yoke. If you also paid
extra for thicker tube, don't count on the fact that you actually got what you asked for. I paid up the butt for .250 wall DOM and got a chunk of rusty,pitted pipe. If you ordered it with one of his "special" Chevy style high angle C.V.s, you are S.O.L. They tend to blow apart at speed and come through the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Geeze Jay! Maybe you should get a trailer that's rated lower than a 4.5!:D Get one that will at least allow you to drive onto it in 2wd low.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Need a real shaft? 1.5" spline out of 4340 alloy,3"x.250 chromoly tube. And the next question.......Too much! but sometimes it's worth it . 30-36" $850 no cv
I'm running mine in the rear of a 3000lb comp rig 400hp &38's
I take multiple 4' hops and haven't broken it yet.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
You should see the one Oscar absolute dry anal raped for Coffee Boy. Tried to clearance the CV and removed probably 75% of the material and still didn't gain any clearance. Precision rebuilt mine, I'll send my next ones to Jess if it isn't a rush job.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts