Pirate 4x4 banner

Should I buy this XJ?

4332 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DereonPalmer
I'm moving to Costa Rica in about a week and I've just about decided that I want to get an XJ for a multitude of reasons including versatility, international parts support, and cost. Not only do I plan to do off road exploring, but the roads can be very bad, rain is frequent, and the mud is thick and deep.
I've been talking with a guy about his 91XJ and he's willing to give me a month warranty and has been very communicative. This would be my first Jeep so I'm hoping to get your eyes and opinions on this thing before I trek over there to take a look on person. The cost is about $6400 but cars are generally very expensive so there so it's a pretty good deal. A '98 4Runner with 200k miles is over $10k.
So anyways, take a look, let me know if you guys see anything worrisome, if this looks like a solid rig, and maybe what else I should ask him about.
Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
$6400 for an xj? Insane. Not just no, but hell no.

The picture of the hacked together front suspension should tell you everything you want to know about that pile.
That sounds like an insane amount for that Jeep. Not sure what the market is like there.
What does it cost to import a vehicle?
To give you an idea of the market, this guy is about $3300
What does it cost to import a vehicle?
About 80% of the value of the vehicle in Costa Rica. So an older XJ would probably cost around $3k to import. I'd have to look up the numbers to confirm.
That being said, the import tax is in the process of being repealed, I'll be be able to import a vehicle tax free in a year or so, but that doesn't help me in the short term.
Don't suppose this one looks any better?
The problems with a 1991 is they’re still Renix. I think it’s the last year of the Renox stuff and the more popular versions of everything are 94+. I own a remix and wish I knew it before buying one because I would have passed.
The problems with a 1991 is they’re still Renix. I think it’s the last year of the Renox stuff and the more popular versions of everything are 94+. I own a remix and wish I knew it before buying one because I would have passed.
Why do you say that? My research shows me they're easier to work on and better in the low range. All years of XJs have their flaws but the problems don't seem specific to renix. Is it just parts availability?
Mostly parts availability. If I wanted to keep it bone stock it might be easier. Since this is a jeep I plan to use for hard off roading swapping out stuff gets tricky because it’s a 21 spline output in the transmission instead of the common 23. The oil filter housing can sometimes leak and finding replacement information is scarce. Most information online I learned doesn’t apply to my Jeep and they were the first few years so now there are even less. If I knew all this before I would have never bought it because there are so many more non-renix jeeps available.
Reactions: 1
When did 23 spine start.
I've not found anything not bolt on my 89.
I've got a 92 tcase on it.
What about the oil filter adapter. Its just an adapter screwd on the block. Are the non renix filters in a different location
Maybe 92 is remix also.

I use mine hard its trouble free just turn the key and run it. Now the front 30 thats another story I wouldn't call it a hard use trail axle atleastvwith stock big ujoint shafts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There should be other better options available for that price.
I'm moving to Costa Rica in about a week and I've just about decided that I want to get an XJ for a multitude of reasons including versatility, international parts support, and cost. Not only do I plan to do off road exploring, but the roads can be very bad, rain is frequent, and the mud is thick and deep.
I've been talking with a guy about his 91XJ and he's willing to give me a month warranty and has been very communicative. This would be my first Jeep so I'm hoping to get your eyes and opinions on this thing before I trek over there to take a look on person. The cost is about $6400 but cars are generally very expensive so there so it's a pretty good deal. A '98 4Runner with 200k miles is over $10k.
So anyways, take a look, let me know if you guys see anything worrisome, if this looks like a solid rig, and maybe what else I should ask him about.
Are you sure you are even allowed to import something that old?
@MrChewie People import classic land cruisers and rovers pretty regularly, although the older the vehicle, the higher the import tax bracket (for now, as that law is currently undergoing revision)
When did 23 spine start.
I've not found anything not bolt on my 89.
I've got a 92 tcase on it.
What about the oil filter adapter. Its just an adapter screwd on the block. Are the non renix filters in a different location
Maybe 92 is remix also.

I use mine hard its trouble free just turn the key and run it. Now the front 30 thats another story I wouldn't call it a hard use trail axle atleastvwith stock big ujoint shafts.

Someone might swapped transmissions in you Jeep to a 23 spline output.

Renix ended in 1991.
Weird. Transmission in my jeep was losing synchros I pulled the Transmission out of my 89 parts jeep ill go count splines now I'm curious.
I have a 89 parts jeep and had a 92.
Everything seems to mix together perfect. The 92chad a aw4

Hello! I hope you're doing well. I stumbled upon this post, and I know it's old, but I'll still give my thoughts on it. I think the XJ would have been a great choice for off-roading in Costa Rica, especially with the rough roads and frequent rain. Btw, as for do you need a driver's license to buy a car, I think it depends on the laws in Costa Rica. However, you'll need a license to register the car and get insurance in most places. It's always a good idea to have a valid license, especially if you plan on driving around the country. If you did end up buying the XJ, I hope it served you well on your adventures. If not, I'm sure you found something that suited your needs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and asking for advice on the forum!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts