Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put these 17 inch wheels from a hummer H2 on a Dodge dana 60 and 70. problem is of course the center opening is too small on GM stuff but its just barely too small. All that needs to be taken off is the small little lip on the inside. I don't see why it wouldn't be alright but any more opinions? Should I just grind it down myself or have it milled off by a shop?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If it's just the tiny lips visible from the front of the hweel, I'd say run it.

If it's the larger lip on the backside, I wouldn't do it... too close to the lug holes.

Oh, IMO, the H2 wheels look good on a 1500HD, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
i dont see anything wrong whith nipping it off. As far as how, it all depends on your skill level.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eskimo said:
If it's just the tiny lips visible from the front of the hweel, I'd say run it.

If it's the larger lip on the backside, I wouldn't do it... too close to the lug holes.

Oh, IMO, the H2 wheels look good on a 1500HD, too.

Yeah its just the part of the lip visible from the front. I would guess it would need 1/16th-1/8 ground off. I am thinking of just taking a die grinder to it.

Yeah they look good on that GMC too. They look even nicer in person also. These are actually going on my Jeep TJ with 40x13.5 MTRs.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
you've got the bank for 40" MT/R's, and you won't cough up some cash for machining the wheel the RIGHT way? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eskimo said:
you've got the bank for 40" MT/R's, and you won't cough up some cash for machining the wheel the RIGHT way? :rolleyes:
I asked if I should have them machined :rolleyes: but if there isn't gonna be a strength or safety problem with just doing it myself why shouldn't I just do it?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
if it isn't machined out true you won't be able to easily get the tires balanced, as it won't run on a hub centric wheel balancer (most common type...)

edit: I'd personally look at having the OD of the hubs turned down to match, as it will make possible spares easier to come by down the road, this is what I did with my ford rear 60 hubs to run hummer rims on them...

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
DetR6oit said:

I asked if I should have them machined :rolleyes: but if there isn't gonna be a strength or safety problem with just doing it myself why shouldn't I just do it?

dumdeedum *grind, grind* oops. took a lil gouge out there. hmm. I'll just smooth it out. *smooth smooth* oops. well shit lookit that. I'll just even the other side a wee bit, too. *even, even* damn. I'll just round out the whole thing a tiny little bit more to get it all back to round. *round, round* awe heck.:mad:

:(

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UZI 9mm said:

dumdeedum *grind, grind* oops. took a lil gouge out there. hmm. I'll just smooth it out. *smooth smooth* oops. well shit lookit that. I'll just even the other side a wee bit, too. *even, even* damn. I'll just round out the whole thing a tiny little bit more to get it all back to round. *round, round* awe heck.:mad:

:(

:flipoff2:

:D

hahaha well if I did it I would just use a die grinder and run it in a circular pattern around the hole so it would be about impossible to gouge it. I have done this on a hole in a firewall and it stayed about as perfect of a circle as you could expect, and I was enlargeing it more.

I am thinking I will look into turning the OD down on the hubs themselves like Crazy horse said. I could possibly do it at work too.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
DetR6oit said:

hahaha well if I did it I would just use a die grinder and run it in a circular pattern around the hole so it would be about impossible to gouge it. I have done this on a hole in a firewall and it stayed about as perfect of a circle as you could expect, and I was enlargeing it more.

I am thinking I will look into turning the OD down on the hubs themselves like Crazy horse said. I could possibly do it at work too.
If you have a lathe it's easy, drive out the wheel studs (quick work) and chuck it up by the OD behind the wheel flange, once I got mine running true in the lathe (no live center big enough for the other end of the hub) it took less than 5 minutes per hub, this way my truck now will fit all 8 on 6.5" wheels...

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
DetR6oit said:

your comparing machining a wheels center hole to a firewall hole. get the fawk outta here.:rolleyes: thats not even the same game, hell that isnt even the same fawkin sport.......................

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FULLSIZE said:

your comparing machining a wheels center hole to a firewall hole. get the fawk outta here.:rolleyes: thats not even the same game, hell that isnt even the same fawkin sport.......................

Never said it would be the same or just as easy neccesarily, just showing that it was possible to enlarge a hole pretty evenly using that process. If I thought it was gonna work the same and just as well thats what I would be doing isn't it?

·
Registered
543 Posts
You will never get it anywhere near round with a die grinder. It will always look like shit every time you look at it. It will have many stress riser spots where cracks could start.:rolleyes: Ever tried die grinding aluminum? It aint easy. you need special burs for it and even then they clog some. it would be a pretty easy job on a big lathe.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
DetR6oit said:

Never said it would be the same or just as easy neccesarily, just showing that it was possible to enlarge a hole pretty evenly using that process.
then you drink too much................

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Treven Baker said:
You will never get it anywhere near round with a die grinder. It will always look like shit every time you look at it. It will have many stress riser spots where cracks could start.:rolleyes: Ever tried die grinding aluminum? It aint easy. you need special burs for it and even then they clog some. it would be a pretty easy job on a big lathe.

Thats why I said I was gonna do what Crazy horse suggested :)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It looks to me like you got your answer, Newbie.

... or you can stay in the Mickey Mouse Club.

.:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
plasma cutter would be a lot faster. plus if you make a cone outta cardboard you can center it up ezeh enuf. :flipoff2:

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself for a street vehicle, but if it is trail use only, who cares? Whose trail rig tires are even close to balanced anyway?

I just bypass balancing my tires altogether. It is my little effort to save the environment by not littering the trail with wheel weights all day. Of course my rig never goes over about 15mph unless it's on a trailer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts