Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I can get the below 1980 scout for $500 obo:

347 V8, 4WD, Automatic transmission, removeable hardtop, dana 44's front and rear, no seats, runs but needs work. Looking at it tonight....guy says the engine more than likely needs to be rebuilt, but I don't care about that....

So I am assuming it has the 727 automatic and the Dana 300 case??
I am really only interested in the tranny and transfer case to use possibly in CJ7 down the road - I am currently building an AMC 360....

I figure once I pull the drive train, I can get around $200 for it at the scrap yard :D

What do you all think? Did all 1980s come with the "Scout Dana 300"??

Joe

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Worst case scenario, you sell the Scout Dana 300 (don't forget to sell the bull gear also :D) for $500. I bought mine for $375 and that was a screaming deal. Most Scout 300s sell for $600-$800, so I don't think you can really go wrong with the deal. Plus the axles are probably worth at least a couple hundred bucks to someone with a CJ.

Edit: I should have read your whole post...the 727, 300, and D44s would be great in your CJ7 (assuming it has the 300). Crawl under and take a peek at the T/C. The auto is might be kind of long though. Might give some though to stretching the rear axle back a little (easy enough with some XJ springs or spring relocation). Just my two cents. It might work great without moving the axles though.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current CJ7 is running AMC 360, T18, Scout 300, Scout 44 rear, Chevy 3/4 ton 44 front cut down :D

This could be a great donor for another CJ! :shaking:

What are the odds that this has the Scout Dana 300? What else could be up there?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well

The auto bull gear wont work on a manual transmission.

EDIT: Stuff doesn't sell for as much on the east coast (especially if you're away from a big city). $800 for a Scout Dana 300 would be a tough sell around me. It quits making sense at that price anyways. Jeep D300 is about $250-$300. Adapter kit to T18 is $500.
________
LIVE SEX

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Don't even think about using that trans with a jeep motor, it has an IH specific bolt pattern.

The t-case is the texas pattern.

If all you want is the trans and tcase, and you can't use the trans, just pass on this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's most likely a D300, but could be a Dana 20. Here's how to tell for sure:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/faq.php?faq=ihcfaq_transmission_category#faq_ihcfaq_d300_id

It will have a 727 transmission, but it won't work behind a 360. It's in a proprietary case that will only mate to IH engines. From the small pics it appears to be in pretty good shape, you should consider picking it up and selling the whole thing or passing the info on to some Scout guys. I hate to see a good Scout taken off the road, although I have no qualms about parting one out that needs it.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't even think about using that trans with a jeep motor, it has an IH specific bolt pattern.

The t-case is the texas pattern.

If all you want is the trans and tcase, and you can't use the trans, just pass on this.
So the auto tranny will not bolt up to a Jeep AMC V8?? That sucks!!! :mad3:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Borrowed

1980 Scouts With The Tf727 Automatic Have A Drive Gear That Is Has A Smaller Interior Diameter And Is 23 Spline. The Drive Gear Can Theoretically Be Machined To 1 3/8" 6 Spline, But Good Luck Finding A Machine Shop Willing To Do This Work And It Would Add A Lot To The Cost.
Nm
________
Cams live

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
It's most likely a D300, but could be a Dana 20. Here's how to tell for sure:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/faq.php?faq=ihcfaq_transmission_category#faq_ihcfaq_d300_id

It will have a 727 transmission, but it won't work behind a 360. It's in a proprietary case that will only mate to IH engines. From the small pics it appears to be in pretty good shape, you should consider picking it up and selling the whole thing or passing the info on to some Scout guys. I hate to see a good Scout taken off the road, although I have no qualms about parting one out that needs it.
It looks like a nice Scout, but it's probably a rust bucket underneath. If it isn't, let some Scout guy have it. Nice ones are hard to find.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's right. However, you can take the tailhousing and output shaft from the IH 727 and put it in the Jeep 727 and bolt on a texas pattern case.
Seems like a lot of work when you can just bolt a Jeep Dana 300 onto a Jeep 727....(at least I think) :shaking:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Seems like a lot of work when you can just bolt a Jeep Dana 300 onto a Jeep 727....(at least I think) :shaking:

Exactly- Get a waggy TF727, which will bolt up to a dana 300 (I used to run one) The only problem you'd have would be driveshaft clearance and lack of clocking the tcase.
Otherwise with the Scout setup you'd have a rare setup that would be difficult to get parts for- IF you could make it work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it is the Dana 300 case, would the transfer case bolt behind a Jeep 727 auto?
The Scout D300 t-case has the Texas bolt pattern.
The Jeep D300 t-case has the New Process six bolt round bolt pattern.
So no it will not bolt up.

I have the set-up 360/727/D300 combo in my CJ7 right now, did it myself. I love this set-up personally, but I also run 5.5" of lift to clear the driveshaft/tranny.
I run stock 3.31 gears and 33" tires, the only reason to regear would be to slow this S.O.B. down, and that's with a bone stock 360!!!

I'd say find an 81-93 Wagoneer to part out, it'll be a lot easier and cheaper. Oh yeah and all you have to do is drill a hole in your passenger side motor mount and it'll drop right in and bolt right up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts