Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my 302 in my 85 4runner and had it started but can't seem to find enough room for a radiator & fan. i am having a full cage built this coming week and was thinking of mounting it on the top of the cage in the back where the cage angles down. what do you guys think? do any of you have other ideas that would help me or have pics of some rigs with v8 and raditor mounting. thanx

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Kong's 4x4 used V8 explorer water pump,timing cover and accessory mounts on the
last 5.0L swap he did. That is a very short setup. He was able to use the stock Ford fan clutch, shroud, and radiator. He had to mofify the core support a little, but kept the factory a/c.
I dont know if he has any pictures. I know electric fans wont keep a V-8 cool out here for rock crawling, But they may work for mud. o.k.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
mine is a truck and mounted right behind the cab so it does not block my view - seems like your idea would...

try to keep the rad below the thermostat or you run into issues from what I have read but can't confirm that..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey brandon, what kind of tubing did you use to get to the rear for the radiator? and were did you run it under the cab or through it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm about to move my radiator to the bed also. Did you guys just fab up a bracket for it? Is the fan you're using push or pull and which side do you have it on?

·
Registered
872 Posts
my buddy dumped a 305 in his '91(had the 6cyl) and we ran the short w-pump for a while, and moved the motor back as far as possable, then stuck with the stock radiator, and put an duel-electric pusher fan between the grill and the radi. it kept the motor around 205 degrees.

It still is close, we've been running it for about 5 months now but the stock rad. is starting to leek. he's going to run a 4 core heavy-duty 350 rad. in the bed. But still keeping the duel fan up front blowing on the motor, and running another in the bed on the rad. he's going to first try to run heater hose from the bed to motor, if that won't work then 2" aluminized exahust tube should be fine.

We're in the process of doing this as we speak, I'll let you know how it turns out...

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I just noticed an issue to keep in mind - when you flip the rad around in the bed to point toward the engine now you have to cross the hoses, I got my inlet and outlet swapped and it works but I suppose if the fluid gets low it will just suck air or something like that so now I gotta add a bunch more hose to cross em over! I am using Home Depot copper tubing and A LOT of generic application radiator hose - 6 of em so far and now that i have to cross them over another couple..

I am running just hose in the engine compartment for now (2 on each side) and then hose where it connects to the rad. No new pics so I'll try to take some tonight..

upper hose wrapping down to the copper at the door side of the fender

hose on the side (you can see the clamp on the right where it connects to the copper)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts