Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some 15-42-15 bias TSL's a few weeks ago.... They look like they were run, returned, then sold to me. Almost all of the hairs are worn off...and they took a LOT of weight to balance them. I was told by a few people that I should return them, get a second opinion,etc, so I was hoping to get some of your thoughts on them. I bought them as new, for $420 each.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I mounted them on the truck but I haven't run them at all. The truck still needs some work done before I can.. I have pictures of them before I mounted them if that helps..?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I ordered some 15-42-15 bias

they took a LOT of weight to balance them.
Sounds about right. They are big and heavy and will require a lot of weight to balance. The proper way to balance a tire like that would to put weighted patches on the tire to get them close and then fine tune your balancing with wheel weights.

I really doubt they were mounted and ran before but even if they had who cares. Its not like your not going to run them.

Mike

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Shoulda sent 'em back before you mounted them.
x2
pics would help of the before shot, the weight is close ( you should ditch the weights and use BBs )

and what the fuck are you doing with 42s and a 44 front end an 9" rear ?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x2
pics would help of the before shot, the weight is close ( you should ditch the weights and use BBs )

and what the fuck are you doing with 42s and a 44 front end an 9" rear ?
I knew that would be brought up. :D Its a Currie 9" and built d44, but I am not going to run them that long. They will be swapped out by winter, and will have maybe 200 easy miles on them with the tires before then, if that.

·
Paying for others
1,611 Posts
They look brand new to me? Just rolling those heavy pigs around while shipping would probably knock those tits off. Balancing a tire that big will require a ton of weight.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
I ordered some 15-42-15 bias TSL's a few weeks ago.... They look like they were run, returned, then sold to me. Almost all of the hairs are worn off...and they took a LOT of weight to balance them.
What do you guys think?

Once you mounted them they are yours to keep... most places won't take them back if they have been mounted. They look new to me. They are big ass bias ply tires, of course they took a bunch on weight to balance. Use airsoft BB's instead of stick on weights.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
How was the tire bead?
that would have told you if they had been mounted.

X8 about getting rid of the weights and using the same amount of weight in BB's

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once you mounted them they are yours to keep... most places won't take them back if they have been mounted. They look new to me. They are big ass bias ply tires, of course they took a bunch on weight to balance. Use airsoft BB's instead of stick on weights.
Yea, I figured they wouldn't be perfect considering they are 42's and bias. I just wanted some opinions as I am rather new to tire-buying. I don't know about the tire bead, they mounted and balanced them before I picked them up. I then took them home in the mini-van and mounted them on my truck.

They were the only shop that would order/mount that big of a tire, so I guess I will just be happy that I even got them. I don't mind if they were blems, or returns but I don't like being lied to/tricked into buying them as New.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought them from Advantage Tire. As far as I know they were ordering them from Interco, and they were supposed to be new. They mentioned something about a few of them coming from a different place, or something...

The guys in there seem to be really nice and helpful, hopefully they weren't intentionally trying to pull a fast one on me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't spoken to them yet. I wanted to make sure there was in fact a problem with them before contacting them about it. They obviously won't be happy about me suggesting that they sold me blems or returns, so I didn't want to :stirthepot: if I didn't need to.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If they are a little used, I can deal with that. But if they are blems, that is hard to deal with. I will give them a call tomorrow morning and see what they have to say about them.

Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts