Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull my dash this weekend due to a burnt up heater blower motor and a busted heater core. I'd really like to go ahead and get rid of all the plastic dash crap if I could come up with some inspiration on how to make it look good. Pictures would be great!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. I thought surely someone had done this. With the factory dash out the added space is incredible. I guess I will be the test case. A straight up cj dash won't work, due the way the steering column mounts but I think it could be worked around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd love to do a flat dash in my YJ, but you would lose a pretty good windshield defroster by going flat. Warm weather no problem, but in the cold, even when the cab was plenty warm, I had times where the wipers would ice up. I wouldn't dare try that with a flat dash.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i was going to say to search but then I tried and it doesn't work, I will see what I can come up with later. I know there are a couple of threads that label the pins for the dash so that you can hook up aftermarket guages and such,

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My TJ's dash.

Of course there's not a lot of TJ left :)

Could you pm me as many pictures of this rig as you can. I really like it and would like to see all the fab work.

Edit: Just noticed the link! Mine has the claytons stretch kit also. I was wanting to see how you retained you coils in the rear. Awesome jeep!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a flat dash that i'm working on for my tj too so I'm gonna be watching this thread for any good news.... I'm gonna end up using some old side pieces from my poisin spyder front cage i used to have on it. and building off of that, i've got a set of autometers to go in someday :grinpimp:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd love to do a flat dash in my YJ, but you would lose a pretty good windshield defroster by going flat. Warm weather no problem, but in the cold, even when the cab was plenty warm, I had times where the wipers would ice up. I wouldn't dare try that with a flat dash.
Here's some ideas for ya, plus this same dash will work on the tj.
It's a flat dash with inserts. Mocked up here
100_0372.jpg
Finished
100_0437.jpg
For a defroster I used a CJ windshield. In the pic you see two defroster hoses going to a small plentum I built. I then cut two matching holes in the top of the cowl to match the CJ windshield holes. That air goes into the widshield and out the stock defroster holes in the windshield.
100_0367.jpg

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I notice some of you are mounting your orbital valves to the cage.

I have the factory dash and column in my YJ. I want to ditch the dash, heater, factory column and wiring harness, then build a simple plate dash off the cage just for basic gauges and circuitry. I have not put any thought into the steering yet.

How do you all like the orbital inside?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
go to the above link for the YJ dash thread and look at the 2nd post ( by me) you can see a stainless deflector on the dash for defrost, it worked quite well.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I notice some of you are mounting your orbital valves to the cage.

I have the factory dash and column in my YJ. I want to ditch the dash, heater, factory column and wiring harness, then build a simple plate dash off the cage just for basic gauges and circuitry. I have not put any thought into the steering yet.

How do you all like the orbital inside?
Only thing I dont like is the noise from my valve. Not sure if I have air in there or not, but it makes noises when I turn.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
yeah mine is on the frame and I can hear it slightly (no fenders). Others I have wheeled with also make the noise, I think it's probably normal. I'll probably just move it to the dash and live with it. Cheaper and easier than fabbing up a column with u-joints and heim supports.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts