Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Damascus Axe....

that ax is the cats ass! i absolutely love when this thread comes up.what wood is the handle made from? and how is the detail done on the head? or is that trade secret type stuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
that ax is the cats ass! i absolutely love when this thread comes up.what wood is the handle made from? and how is the detail done on the head? or is that trade secret type stuff.
Thanks! The handle is Brazilian Kingwood, real nice stuff to work with. The head is forge welded steel. There are 2 different types of steel used, 15N20 a Swedish bandsaw steel, it's a high carbon steel that contains 3-4% nickel (thats the shiny steel in the pattern) and the other steel is 1080, its a high carbon steel. I started with 35 alternating layers and welded (heat, beat, repeat) them up, cut and stacked and welded several times until I had over 450 layers. I hammered it to the shape I wanted, annealed, ground to clean up the forging. I then drilled/milled/filed/cussed and fussed making a hole for the eye, then hardened and tempered, etched in ferric chloride to reveal the pattern, then shaped and fit the handle....confused yet :laughing:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thanks! The handle is Brazilian Kingwood, real nice stuff to work with. The head is forge welded steel. There are 2 different types of steel used, 15N20 a Swedish bandsaw steel, it's a high carbon steel that contains 3-4% nickel (thats the shiny steel in the pattern) and the other steel is 1080, its a high carbon steel. I started with 35 alternating layers and welded (heat, beat, repeat) them up, cut and stacked and welded several times until I had over 450 layers. I hammered it to the shape I wanted, annealed, ground to clean up the forging. I then drilled/milled/filed/cussed and fussed making a hole for the eye, then hardened and tempered, etched in ferric chloride to reveal the pattern, then shaped and fit the handle....confused yet :laughing:
how many man hours in this???

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
so what your telling me is,you were busy all weekend. :laughing:.holy shit!i had no idea of what it took,it's unbelievable tho.i imagine after that whole thing,you do the leather work also?.hard to tell from the pic,what's the length of the handle? is it about the same size as a regular hand ax.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks! It was an order and not available...I need to get some good pics before the new owner picks it up.

Ritter4.0, Grinding a knife from a leaf spring is a good start, you'll learn a lot. My first knife was a Caterpillar head bolt I heated with a rosebud and hammered it into a blade...well...sort of...:homer:

I'm a full-time knifemaker, have been for about 10 years, I was a heavy equipment field mechanic until a back injury ended that career.
This is an aluminum version I made with scrap from work. The steel version is not coming out as well as this did.

I cut this out with a plasma cutter:

And now I am stuck with this, and thinking about how I am going to do the handle.

I am kinda thinking about melting down some copper and dipping this in a few times. Then grind the copper off just the sharp part of the blade. I just need to learn how to melt copper...

·
Registered
109 Posts
so what your telling me is,you were busy all weekend. :laughing:.holy shit!i had no idea of what it took,it's unbelievable tho.i imagine after that whole thing,you do the leather work also?.hard to tell from the pic,what's the length of the handle? is it about the same size as a regular hand ax.

Yeah...it kept me busy for better part of a week. :laughing: I did the leather work also, I'm not much of a leather worker...but it'll work. :homer: It is 18" overall...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had to build some fenders for a sand dragster and didn't have a brake. So I threw this one together. So far I have bent 12 gage x 24" with no problems. The widest bend is 44"

I made some 2",4",6",8" and 10" angles so I can brake boxes and stuff as well.
I REALLY like that setup and I think I could put that together myself as well. Any chance you could take some more detailed pics of it? Particularly of the hinge setup? Any possibility you might be able to throw a small piece of metal in there just to show me how it starts out when performing a bend? For some reason I can't quite grasp the full operation of it:homer: Thanks if you're willing to do it:D
X2, great setup and I'd like to see some other pics as well...
X3, I would love to have one of those on my table :smokin:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Garage fab slip roll

I needed some 15" wide 6 lug rims for sand tires...kinda spendy. So I made a slip roll that would bend 3/16" x 8" and made my own rims.
I get teased for saveing old broken axels and busted t-cases, but this was almost all made with used junk from around the shop. The only $ was a couple of pices of flat bar and a few new bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
This doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff in this thread, but it was something I needed, and I made it so I suppose it qualifies.

I ordered a pair of taps a couple days ago, and discovered when the arrived that they wouldn't fit in any of the chucks I have for my lathe. Instead of spending $$$ on a larger chuck or other type of holder I grabbed a chunk of aluminum bar stock, bored one end out for the tap shank, cross drilled and tapped for bolts to keep the tap from spinning, then turned the end down to a size that would fit my largest chuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
This doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff in this thread, but it was something I needed, and I made it so I suppose it qualifies.

I ordered a pair of taps a couple days ago, and discovered when the arrived that they wouldn't fit in any of the chucks I have for my lathe. Instead of spending $$$ on a larger chuck or other type of holder I grabbed a chunk of aluminum bar stock, bored one end out for the tap shank, cross drilled and tapped for bolts to keep the tap from spinning, then turned the end down to a size that would fit my largest chuck.
nice
I keep forgetting I have a lath & when I remember I do stuff like that:)

Got a mill like 6 months ago, still not in the shop, tarped outside:(

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts

I just use the live center against the back of the tap and a crescent wrench :confused: at least thats how I did my 1 1/4 control arms.

201 - 220 of 772 Posts