Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
What is the base of your positioner?
I was wondering if someone was going to notice that. At the moment there are pieces of angle iron bolted along each of the long sides to clamp it down in the horizontal position. Still need to make the pivoting mount.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I just use the live center against the back of the tap and a crescent wrench :confused: at least thats how I did my 1 1/4 control arms.
That works, but it's a pain in the ass if you're gonna do more than a couple. I plan on making a lot more than one set of links so the time I spent making that should be well worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
That works, but it's a pain in the ass if you're gonna do more than a couple. I plan on making a lot more than one set of links so the time I spent making that should be well worth it.
Not sure what you mean by a pain in the ass. All I do is power the lathe on and extend the the center as the tap sucks itself into the tube. Its cake. The wrench is only to keep the tap from spinning. Mind you its a gynormous lathe.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
I know exactly what you're saying. I guess I shouldn't have said a pain in the ass, but it's still more work than simply shoving the tailstock into the work piece then standing back and waiting til it's done, then reversing the machine and standing back til it pushes it's way back out.

Also, I'm a little wary of big powerful machine tools. My lathe is big enough that I dont wanna chance having it throw a crescent wrench at me. If things bind up with this setup the adapter will probably spin in the chuck before anything bad happens.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
You guys both need to make a floating tap / die holder.
Never seen such a thing before.

I know exactly what you're saying. I guess I shouldn't have said a pain in the ass, but it's still more work than simply shoving the tailstock into the work piece then standing back and waiting til it's done, then reversing the machine and standing back til it pushes it's way back out.

Also, I'm a little wary of big powerful machine tools. My lathe is big enough that I dont wanna chance having it throw a crescent wrench at me. If things bind up with this setup the adapter will probably spin in the chuck before anything bad happens.
:D The crescent wrench method is defiantly not OSHA approved and you are right. If something binds, its nice to have a fail safe, like the tap holder spinning in the chuck. I was building my links and had six 1-11/64 holes to drill. I went five inches deep, on the second hole the drill bit bound up and snapped. I still have a lot to learn and now try to make a habit not to over tighten my work piece in the lathe chuck when I'm using expensive tooling. I didn't feel like waiting another week for a bit so I welded the fugger back together, to my surprise it drilled the remaining four holes fine. Oh and not wanting to be to much of a troll here is a photo of my hand made ball peen sledge hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hand made digital readout brackets and billet shift knob on tail stock. Also made up a air over hydraulic setup for my jd2 and skrew jacks, hammer and fly cutter i made in high school

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
also just made a pinion depth gauge for setting up some gears
How does that work??? the pieces you made replace the bearings and you take a depth reading to the top of the pinion and that will give you the distance from the top of the bar going across between the two bearing discs. Use that number to set up the new pinion???? thanks ED

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
that is how i plan on using it. I machined em down to 2.892" and bored a hole that was .647" and im using some scrap precission ground material as the axel and it mic'd out at .646 5"

·
Registered
405 Posts
that is how i plan on using it. I machined em down to 2.892" and bored a hole that was .647" and im using some scrap precission ground material as the axel and it mic'd out at .646 5"
do you drill a hole in the axle to use a depth gauge???

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
im doing d60 cut and turn. i had to make some help tools.

my inner knuckles where totally jammed they just wouldnt turn. i gave them shit loads off heat and sledge hammer but nothing:mad3:

so i fastly made this bottle jack puller to get them out.
got them out but it did take lots of heat and beating to get them pressed out.

and other tool i made was spindle nut socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I like that press arbor you made for pulling the inner c. Do you have a better pic? what materials did you use? looks like round stock
bars are 22mm(0.87") round. bottom plate is 30mmx60mm (1.2"x2.36")plate and c part steel is 30mmx30mm(1.2"x1.2"). all mild steel. it did bend and deform lots but it did the job.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
bars are 22mm round. bottom plate is 30mmx60mm plate and c part steel is 30mmx30mm. all mild steel. it did bend and deform lots but it did the job.
"You know I don't speak spanish... In English please!" :laughing:

(Anchorman when Ron Burgandy is talking to his dog Baxter)

221 - 240 of 772 Posts