Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 772 Posts

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
This doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff in this thread, but it was something I needed, and I made it so I suppose it qualifies.

I ordered a pair of taps a couple days ago, and discovered when the arrived that they wouldn't fit in any of the chucks I have for my lathe. Instead of spending $$$ on a larger chuck or other type of holder I grabbed a chunk of aluminum bar stock, bored one end out for the tap shank, cross drilled and tapped for bolts to keep the tap from spinning, then turned the end down to a size that would fit my largest chuck.
Looks good! We had to make a bunch of those over the years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just made a 1.5" dimple die yesterday. 1018, 35* edge, 3"x1" for the female and 3"x2" thick for the male die. Works pretty well so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'm interested in a follow up on how long your diy dimple die lasts being made of 1018 and all
I figured it was good for a trial run. I will probably try to find some 4140 when I make some more. I'm just practicing with my lathe and it seemed like a good project.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
I have made a few out of A-2, and hardened them. Been holding up just fine. The one I have a much better finish on than the other, but unless you look closely you would never know.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Last winter got sick of my small Husky compressor so assembled my own.

Largest compressor HF sails
5hp 220V Motor from Tractor Supply
Pressure switch,check valve and sheave from Grainger
Control box from left over parts from previous projects
150g tank I was able to get for the cost of scrap steel.

I built the compressor up high, so I could store my welder and Pressure washer underneath it. The HF compressor works good, but now I am starting to look around for a 2 stage. Get a couple grinders going and it just can't keep up.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I figured it was good for a trial run. I will probably try to find some 4140 when I make some more. I'm just practicing with my lathe and it seemed like a good project.

Harden them. Heat them cherry red hot and quench them in oil.

·
Read Only
VerticalScope Sucks
22,735 Posts
Last winter got sick of my small Husky compressor so assembled my own.

Largest compressor HF sails
5hp 220V Motor from Tractor Supply
Pressure switch,check valve and sheave from Grainger
Control box from left over parts from previous projects
150g tank I was able to get for the cost of scrap steel.

Is that actually an air tank, or a propane tank? Does it have a drain?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I've read it doesn't do much for regular steel? Couldn't hurt to try though...although, I don't have a O/A setup...
Higher the carbon content (i.e. 4130) the better.

I make up little stuff (counter sinks) from o-1 rod. Propane torch is fine
for getting them up to heat, and quenching in oil.

Kasenit - this works great on regular steel. I'll make machinist clamps from plain square 1018 -- treated with kasenot on the jaws. Nice functional clamps for a little time involved.

Tom

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
wearing gloves while your putting your hands on or near a turning piece of metal is very dangerous. don't wear gloves unless you want to get body slammed into the wall by your lathe. all it needs is a small string to grab a hold of and your going for a ride.:eek:
same reason I cringe when I see people wearing gloves when spooling their winch up

Your winch spools in that quick? holy cow

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
the coolest vise grip derived tool i've seen was when keepviper13 and i went to branik motorsports a month ago or so. It was a slide hammer that Stan had machined and the side opposite of the "anvil" was threaded to go into a pair of vise grips.
pics?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
same reason I cringe when I see people wearing gloves when spooling their winch up
:shaking: Yeah, because spooling a winch is almost the same as using a lathe or a drillpress.

Probably of a winch grabbing and sucking your hand in with gloves on is about 1/100,000 if you're not stupid. Probably of a wildcat on the winch cable laying your hand wide open from not wearing gloves is about 1/5. I'll stick with my gloves, especially when helping somebody else with a winch I don't know the condition of.

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
:shaking: Yeah, because spooling a winch is almost the same as using a lathe or a drillpress.

Probably of a winch grabbing and sucking your hand in with gloves on is about 1/100,000 if you're not stupid. Probably of a wildcat on the winch cable laying your hand wide open from not wearing gloves is about 1/5. I'll stick with my gloves, especially when helping somebody else with a winch I don't know the condition of.
number one rule in the marine world is no gloves on a line of any type
and when i'm talking about spooling a winch i'm not talking 20 feet away when hooking to a tree I'm talking about when getting the cable back on the drum tight

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
number one rule in the marine world is no gloves on a line of any type
and when i'm talking about spooling a winch i'm not talking 20 feet away when hooking to a tree I'm talking about when getting the cable back on the drum tight
4x4 not same world;)

241 - 260 of 772 Posts