Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
made thease crimp/swage blocks for my press.
OK, I need to know how to make those. Hopefully it's low-tech enough that I can do it. (meaning no mill used to make 'em)

It can't be as simple as drilling a bunch of different-sized holes in a chunk of steel, and bandsawing through the middle of the holes? :confused:

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
It can't be as simple as drilling a bunch of different-sized holes in a chunk of steel, and bandsawing through the middle of the holes? :confused:
Clamp two scraps of metal together and drill down between them...

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
yes just clamp together and drill. i had thin sheetmetal pieces in the ends between halfs. it will leave centering cap and drill stays in middle.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Homemade (ok shop made) plasma cutting table. They left a bunch of pallet racking in the shop with those grates...so I cut them down. Have a bunch of the grates, but hopefully I'll have a CNC table before too long.

Definitely nicer than having sheet hanging off the edge of something.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
yes just clamp together and drill. i had thin sheetmetal pieces in the ends between halfs. it will leave centering cap and drill stays in middle.
Very cool tool, it just never would have crossed my mind to make my own! Now I'm going to make a small set for my arbor press. Thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Homemade dimple dies: .5, .75, 1, and 1.5".

Starting dies for a 1.5" tube roller. Made a 1" x 3.5" tube bender die in the same fashion.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Working in a Geo Tracker the spindle nut is 2" dia. 4 hole. No luck finding a socket so.............. Nothing as fancy as some of the really great stuff in this thread but it worked. I used old screwdrives for the pins. Put them in the holes of the nut then wealded them to the socket. Now it's in the socket drawer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I trimmed off an old stock xj draglink joint, shaved and welded it to some 1 3/4" tubing. Took another section of tubing, and welded a washer and matching castlenut to the end of it. To get a little more usable angle, I trimmed a groove into the inner edge of the joint with a carbide bit.

I now can clamp this gauge into position on the rig, and take measurements off of it. The joint holds steady where you set it, and now gets from 0* to 25* of range.

Very slick arrangement.

Added to the growing database at homemadetools.net: Homemade Tube Bending Angle Gauge

Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was working on my pinion brakes and needed a pinion flange to get the mounting of the rotor sorted out. Only problem was I don't have a 2-1/4" socket handy, the thirds are loose so no way to get them to hold still, and the nuts are stupid tight.

Basically the recipe here is.
A piece of 2-1/4" exhaust tube, 6 pieces of 1/4" flat stock 1-1/4" long, welder, and some scrap boxtube.
The pictures tell the rest, the second piece is to lock the pinion still so that I could pull the nut, and it bolts to the flange itself.
Very nice improvised socket!

Added to the database at homemadetools.net: Homemade 2-1/4" Socket

Ken

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Arcing out 90' of Weld??? :eek: WTF for?

I used to weld for a fab shop that built custom deck barges. On occasion we would have a tractor weld (SAW) which would not be dead on the seam. The deck welds were UT tested and if the results were bad, some unlucky soul (myself) would have to gouge up to 150' of continuous weld on hands and knees, .625" deep, .500" wide.

After the third failed barge in a year, I said fuck that. :D

301 - 320 of 772 Posts