Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 772 Posts

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,947 Posts
All I have to share is a bearing splitter, a spanner for Chevy IFS carrier bearings, and a GM tool J26252 (removes governor bushing from a Gov-Bomb)nowhere near as cool as Blueballs 5 speed tubing bender . Very cool idea using a Toyota transmission on the bender. Seriously, what did the gears come from?

img_2484-1.jpg

img_2494-1.jpg
Can'tfind the spanner pic..I'll add it later.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Wheel bearing socket for a pathfinder, guy at work traced the nut and brought in the tracing, worked from that.

Had to use 2 pieces of tubing sleeved together, drilled through em long ways to use a couple drill bits as the pins.

Then we have the louver die for the ole shop press.

Makes these.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I did all my axle work on this thing from disassembly and cleaning, to bracket work, to hanging the axles under the rig. It's One of the most labor saving tools I have put together. Ever tried positioning a D60 on a floor jack?

(posted up earier this year, but the thread is buried)
I converted an old folding chair cart into a rolling axle stand.
Welded an angle iron upright with a 3" muffler clamp to the base.
The other (left) upright is welded to a sliding mount that can be moved from 6" to 48" apart to fit any axle/bracket combo. The muffler clamps lock the axle in place, and is good for grinding, setting up brackets, or gear setup. The axle can rotate 360* and lock into place with the twist of a 9/16 wrench.
Moving the whole thing around without losing preset working angles is a piece of cake.

Edit: attached image before photobucket deletes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
xjmark said:
I did all my axle work on this thing from disassembly and cleaning, to bracket work, to hanging the axles under the rig. It's One of the most labor saving tools I have put together. Ever tried positioning a D60 on a floor jack?

(posted up earier this year, but the thread is buried)
I converted an old folding chair cart into a rolling axle stand.
Welded an angle iron upright with a 3" muffler clamp to the base.
The other (left) upright is welded to a sliding mount that can be moved from 6" to 48" apart to fit any axle/bracket combo. The muffler clamps lock the axle in place, and is good for grinding, setting up brackets, or gear setup. The axle can rotate 360* and lock into place with the twist of a 9/16 wrench.
Moving the whole thing around without losing preset working angles is a piece of cake.

I built something similar to this for my axle projects

It's just a few pieces of 2" square tube, and an old creeper frame.

To hold the axle steady, I just old u-bolts tightened down.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
For my out of truck engine maintenance, such as clutch replacement, rear main seal, yada yada. I just slapped some angle iron together, so that engine will rest on the lip of the oil pan. Worked great for the tranny swap I did last Jan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts

Left to right, the tool creeper, for when you have a bunch of tools to drag around. Also comes in handy as a ground level creeper seat. I did have some diamond plate in it for a bottom, but it has been awhile since I worked in the shop and I misplaced it.

Next, what started out as a cheater pipe for my ratchet I modified for a steering box input shaft seal driver for semi truck steer boxes.

The two bars with the small ends are for tensioning the springs on overhead doors. I wanted to do it right and turn them down on the lathe but I ended up using a pedestal grinder.

Last is an anchor pin bushing driver. It is used for doing brake jobs on semis and semi trailers. I did use the lathe on this one, and a torch to cut the notch. The notch is so it will fit around the hub.

I did make a few pullers here and there, but I must have either given them away or tossed them in the scrap when I was done.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I'm building my first full cage from scratch, and math isn't one of my strong points. (had to threaten the math teacher to graduate H.S. 17 years ago)
I've been uising the Bendin' Tube 101 tech write-up with great results, until I got to a compound bend. Tried doing the math, but the beers ain't helping any. Tried holding the tubing up in the air and measuring what I needed, but that didn't work either.

So, I trimmed off an old stock xj draglink joint, shaved and welded it to some 1 3/4" tubing. Took another section of tubing, and welded a washer and matching castlenut to the end of it. To get a little more usable angle, I trimmed a groove into the inner edge of the joint with a carbide bit.

I now can clamp this gauge into position on the rig, and take measurements off of it. The joint holds steady where you set it, and now gets from 0* to 25* of range.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
AprilzWarrior said:
My home brew axle stand...

14bolt on my stand...

AW
Fuck the stand;) Did you make that 14 bolt truss/DS skid ! That is sweet!

21 - 40 of 772 Posts