Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 772 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
What size holes and what wire gauge do they correlate to?
Well I found this chart for wire size by gauge...

Then I figured that the wire size plus about .1" for the doubled up wall thickness of the terminals... But they are going to vary greatly by brand, and how heavy duty they are...

The holes I drilled were 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4. I think that will be a wide enough range to work with, yet still close enough together so that if one size doesn't crush it down far enough you can go to the next smaller hole and get the job done. I have the HF hydraulic wire crimper that will do up to about 4 gauge realistically (the dies say up to 1/0, but there's no way in hell they are big enough!) Most of the battery cables I make up are 2/0 or smaller. If you do any 3/0 or 4/0 I would add in a 5/8 and maybe 11/16 just for shits and giggles to make sure I had a big enough option.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I remembered this when my cheap extra grinder wore out its brushes, brilliant!

here is mine
As was stated before, not a good idea. Those disks are not rated for anywhere near the speed of that air grinder.

You will be picking parts of that thing out of yourself in no time. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
As was stated before, not a good idea. Those disks are not rated for anywhere near the speed of that air grinder.

You will be picking parts of that thing out of yourself in no time. Ask me how I know.
as was stated before
you don't understand geometry

in a more thread related note, made a holder for some tnma 333 inserts i got cheap a while back (like 200 of them for $40) that slides on the dovetail of my quick change holder. tons more rigid than the 1/2" shank I had them on before, I can stall the motor with no chatter now.

had made a dovetail cutter from an axle shaft, but didn't relieve the bottom edge properly and it burnt up right after the last cut in the actual dovetail part, so I'm gonna have to make a flycutter style thing to make more tool holders, and "male" dovetail sections to bolt to the lathe to hold the toolholders and keep them from violently becoming intimate with the floor as they seem to enjoy doing

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
4.5" diameter wheel at 12k rpm, 14,347 SFM
3" diameter wheel at 20krpm (if that chinese grinder could even do that with no load), 15,707 sfm
so it is 1500 sfm faster, or overspeeded by 10%

Do you ever find yourself doing 77 mph in a 70?
geometry will not tell you about the forces acting to pull the disk apart. Calculus and physics however will. After wasting half an hour in an attempt to satisfy my own curiosity I can tell you that the forces acting to pull the 4.5" disk apart at 1200 rpm are relatively similar to (actually greater than) those acting to pull the 3" disk apart at 20000 rpm.

However, I tried this years ago after coming up with the same~ sfm numbers you did and proceeded to disintegrate 2 disks back to back. Part of the second one found a new home in my leg. What this tells me is there is another variable/s which is being overlooked such as a fatigue factor (new disk vs. disk thats been in service for some time), the forces associated with the rapid acceleration of the air grinder, or even differing material behavior due to stress cracks.

As you can probably tell I like numbers but any experienced engineer will tell you that a chalkboard full of numbers will often fail to prove or disprove what a few seconds in reality can.

Spin all the worn down disks you like. For me a simple risk vs. benefit analysis is all that is needed to make a decision.

end hijack.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
geometry will not tell you about the forces acting to pull the disk apart. Calculus and physics however will. After wasting half an hour in an attempt to satisfy my own curiosity I can tell you that the forces acting to pull the 4.5" disk apart at 1200 rpm are relatively similar to (actually greater than) those acting to pull the 3" disk apart at 20000 rpm.

However, I tried this years ago after coming up with the same~ sfm numbers you did and proceeded to disintegrate 2 disks back to back. Part of the second one found a new home in my leg. What this tells me is there is another variable/s which is being overlooked such as a fatigue factor (new disk vs. disk thats been in service for some time), the forces associated with the rapid acceleration of the air grinder, or even differing material behavior due to stress cracks.

As you can probably tell I like numbers but any experienced engineer will tell you that a chalkboard full of numbers will often fail to prove or disprove what a few seconds in reality can.

Spin all the worn down disks you like. For me a simple risk vs. benefit analysis is all that is needed to make a decision.

end hijack.
If part of that bitch got stuck in your leg, me thinks you weren't wearing proper attire and were probably using shitty cutoff wheels. Despite heat/humidity, there's a reason I always wear double layer canvas pants when cutting/welding. I've chipped walter cutoff wheels, cracked them and otherwise damaged them in ways where they should be "unsafe" to use, yet every time they hold together and can be used till there's nothing left without disintegrating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
as was stated before
you don't understand geometry

in a more thread related note, made a holder for some tnma 333 inserts i got cheap a while back (like 200 of them for $40) that slides on the dovetail of my quick change holder. tons more rigid than the 1/2" shank I had them on before, I can stall the motor with no chatter now.

had made a dovetail cutter from an axle shaft, but didn't relieve the bottom edge properly and it burnt up right after the last cut in the actual dovetail part, so I'm gonna have to make a flycutter style thing to make more tool holders, and "male" dovetail sections to bolt to the lathe to hold the toolholders and keep them from violently becoming intimate with the floor as they seem to enjoy doing
Pics! We need pics...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

To your dissapointment Im alive to report that it works great. I did however have a slight mishap shattering a disk on my angle grinder. I got afraid of it, as it must be 100% the tools fault, so I threw it away

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
To your dissapointment Im alive to report that it works great. I did however have a slight mishap shattering a disk on my angle grinder. I got afraid of it, as it must be 100% the tools fault, so I threw it away
I spoke up out of concern for your safety, based on my experience. Not sure how you interpreted that as me wishing you harm.

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
I wear this when using abrasives....that way my shoddy hand-made cutoff wheels will only kill the puppies and nuns in the room and not me.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
FWIW, I liked your answer and I really wish I took more math classes.

Though as you said, experience trumps simulation. Sometimes I don't trust others' experience, though. Still plenty young and that means I'm yet durable enough to be stupid for a while yet.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
FWIW, I liked your answer and I really wish I took more math classes.

Though as you said, experience trumps simulation. Sometimes I don't trust others' experience, though. Still plenty young and that means I'm yet durable enough to be stupid for a while yet.
Lemme know how that works out for ya; hint, hint it's not true.

After being in a bad car accident as a toddler I have almost constant musculoskeletal back pain, no arthritis or bone/connective tissue damage but my back is fucked.

Also broke my wrist and ankle in a motorcycle crash almost two years ago(was 20) and if I over exert either I pay the price with pain for days afterwards. My body isn't nearly as tough as I thought, I'm not invincible, none of us are. Being safe is fawking simple and easy, being lazy about ppe isn't worth the risk.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
After looking up a plane of bend bracket to buy, I decided quickly that I was not going to pay $40 for a piece of metal and a screw.

Grabbed a piece of 4"x6" 3/8" plate and went to town on the vertical bandsaw... then using an extra leaf spring center pin I welded the nut on and boom.... done

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nothing quite as home built as most of you guys, just stuff I made in school

Tap handle

Deburring tool

Thread gauge block

1 2 3 blocks

Lead hammer

This hammer I did weld up at work years ago

And not a tool, but I made up a custom fairlead for a project