Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 772 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Since everyone is so fond of presses... :flipoff2: This sheet of al wouldn't fit in my (homebuilt) press for the top row of dimples...

Solution.
:)flipoff2:)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I made a case spreader for my Dana44 a few months ago. It is true that a case spreader isn't necessary to regear a Dana axle, but it sure does make it a lot easier. Once you use one you will never go back. The adjuster screw is made from hex bar stock. I turned the bar stock down on each side and cut 1/2"-20 threads on each side, one left and one right hand. I only need to turn the adjuster screw 90 degrees to achieve 0.015" deformation in the housing. I turned down the pins 0.001" under the two holes in the axle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here's an axle stand I use to build axles on.

Gus

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is a 40 to 1 reduction box with an 8 on 6.5 adapter plate that I use for splitting wheels and welding in new centers etc.

Made an adapter so that I could bolt anything with a 6 bolt pto opening to an engine stand. It was originally built for building Allison AT540s but it works for t-cases as well.

Gus

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
I made my own little press brake to bend up axle trusses and maybe a couple brackets. Its made from some scrap angle. That is 1/4 inch plate that is 4 inches wide and it bent it with no sweat. I could have stuck a longer handle on the press and made a really sharp corner but didn't feel like it. No laughing at shitty welds! Edit: I also used no heat to bend the metal, i imagine if i gave it some heat i could probably bend some serious shit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
ok lets get technical on builds !

this is my straw holder with the side of the lid band sawed away.

just for fun. but here are some other items homemade for rolling vehicle around wheel 25cents each form floor jacks at garage sale

my press brake for homemade 12 ton press

·
Registered
509 Posts
I made these tube clamps when building my sandrail, they worked great as an extra set of hands that dont complain how long to hold the tube. They hold 1"-2" tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I made these tube clamps when building my sandrail, they worked great as an extra set of hands that dont complain how long to hold the tube. They hold 1"-2" tube.
Now these are clever!

Nice work! Although, I think you were just trying to impress us with the eye bolts, most of the rest of us would have welded washers to all-thread :flipoff2: (OK, maybe that's just me, but I have and will again, I'm sure!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here's my seal driver for the Dana 50 (maybe 60 as well, not sure) front axle seals. Really helped getting the axleshafts back in too. 4" pipe flange with about 1/4" taken off, a piece of pipe and cap. Worked great. Not my idea, saw one on DieselStop.com.

Next was my idea, we needed to hold the Toyota 3.4 crank pulley from rotating while removing the bolt so I used one end of my JD2 bender handle. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great ideas here!!! Here is a simple mod an old truck mechanic showed me. He added a piece of flat stock to a combo square, this allows a mark around a corner of a truck frame.

I salvage old drill chucks from dead drills, thread them onto a 3/8"fine thread bolt and fit it with a handle...real handy for holding small parts. Also in the pic is a section of rail with some holes and a catch pan, makes a nice bench anvil.

I make knives and built a horizontal grinder with quick change wheels...with a couple simple mods this would work great for tubing as well.

Here's a shot of the other grinders...they are real handy when fabbing.

Knife vise mounted in a pocket under the table top. It rotates easily to get a comfortable working surface. I have a couple friends that use this vise to do pistol work. It's great to securely hold odd shaped pieces.

Hold down fixture for the mill, vise grip slides to allow for clamping different shaped pieces. Next to it a small aluminum with a clamp to hold smaller parts. The rotary table has a plate drilled and tapped to secure parts, there is a .250 center pin to locate off of.

Circle cutting attachment for the plasma. Drill a 1/8" center hole in work piece, slide brass collar to get desired diameter and tighten set screw.

Mike

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,943 Posts
I make knives and built a horizontal grinder with quick change wheels...with a couple simple mods this would work great for tubing as well.

Here's a shot of the other grinders...they are real handy when fabbing.

Mike

Mike, I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your pics over to thread on building your own belt sander that you might be able to add some input to http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545417

101 - 120 of 772 Posts