161 - 180 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
When I was working on my pinion brakes and needed a pinion flange to get the mounting of the rotor sorted out. Only problem was I don't have a 2-1/4" socket handy, the thirds are loose so no way to get them to hold still, and the nuts are stupid tight.

Basically the recipe here is.
A piece of 2-1/4" exhaust tube, 6 pieces of 1/4" flat stock 1-1/4" long, welder, and some scrap boxtube.
The pictures tell the rest, the second piece is to lock the pinion still so that I could pull the nut, and it bolts to the flange itself.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
wearing gloves while your putting your hands on or near a turning piece of metal is very dangerous. don't wear gloves unless you want to get body slammed into the wall by your lathe. all it needs is a small string to grab a hold of and your going for a ride.:eek:
I'll second that..........I was at a factory today talking with some guys in the maintenance shop that told me about 2 people that had their hands ripped off when their gloves got caught.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i've used the vehicle press before too. we were breaking down an mrap tire and the runflat/beadlock (think humvee rim on steroids) wouldnt let the tire come off. we tried chaining the rim to one 7ton and the tire to another then doing a tug of war. we actually tore the rim where the chain passed though (1/4" grade 90) i ended up putting the tire on jackstands and using the 7 ton truck and a 20 ton bottle jack to press the rim out. other than that a humvee rear bumper (ambulance and up-armored models as well as 1152's) work well for bending small stuff like rebar, flat stock, 1/2" tubing, etc. for a sheet metal brake i use bed frame angle iron and a boat trailer with probably a 4" c channel frame. basically just put the sheet metal between the 2 and hammer the angle iron over the corner of the trailer frame. i also made a bead unintentionally this way doing my trans tunnel. my measurement was off so after i made the bend i had to flatten it out some and try again. that's just using 20 gauge though

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Here is my modded jack stands. They are harbor frieght 6-ton jack stands. I welded a 2"x4"xQuarter inch tube to the stand and used 1"xquarter inch flat bar for a brace. I drilled holes through the tube for safty pins.
now thats fucking scary!!:shaking:
make the base wider.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i agree about those jack stands. i dont even trust them completely even at the stock height. at any rate i also made this to reach the bottom bolt on my ve injection pump. i was half tempted to get that new wrench craftsman came out with even though it's chinese. this is made in china too but was free and i dont plan on using it much. most people use a dog bone or s wrench but i have an air compressor instead of a vacuum pump.

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
wearing gloves while your putting your hands on or near a turning piece of metal is very dangerous. don't wear gloves unless you want to get body slammed into the wall by your lathe. all it needs is a small string to grab a hold of and your going for a ride.:eek:
same reason I cringe when I see people wearing gloves when spooling their winch up

·
Registered
455 Posts
The finished toolpost, a differant style radius cutter that will do both convex and concave radii, a three piece set of .500" inserted cutters and a toolpost indicator holder.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Horizontal grinder, Sidewinder lll, my 3rd version in the evolution. I build custom knives and a horizontal grinder is a valuable tool, it sees a lot of use. It's powered by a 1hp VFD and changes from a small wheel to a more conventional horizontal grinder. The contact wheels are on their own tool arm an are quickly changed out to different diameter wheel when needed.

mike

161 - 180 of 772 Posts