Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does ahybody know where to get parts or a new control for them? I found a good deal on one, but its not a good deal if I can't find a control for it. Thanks for your help!

·
FU2
2,098 Posts
Hickey 'Side Winder' winches were popular in the 70's, and a damn good winch. Mopar trucks used the H-- out of them ! = the going price for a good one now is bout $300.
Hicky sold out to Advance Adapter and they quit makeing them somewhere along about '85.
Parts?--- none to my knowledge unless you happen to find someone who has one they want to get rid of or find one in the junk yard I put one on my CJ5 and it works great !!
You could make up your owh 'controller' tho----- three wire system - a three position toggle switch , spring loaded to the center off position .

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Tin Bender ]

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Originally posted by Tin Bender:
<STRONG>Hickey 'Side Winder' winches were popular in the 70's, and a damn good winch.

Hicky sold out to Advance Adapter and they quit makeing them somewhere along about '85.
</STRONG>
I wondered what happened to Hickey. You're right, they were a good winch. As I remember both of mine were rated at 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Blazerman!!!:
<STRONG>Does ahybody know where to get parts or a new control for them? I found a good deal on one, but its not a good deal if I can't find a control for it. Thanks for your help!</STRONG>
Blazerman,
You can find new controls at your local Starter/Generator rebuilder. You will need two controlers, they are called a six terminal selanoid. There are two mfg's. of these controls. Essex was the original mfg., I was not able to find them in business, but they are also made by Prestolite, the same mfg. as the motor. If your local rebuilder can't find them, let me know, and I know a shop in San Jose, who can get them. Send me your email address, and I will make a sketch of the wiring and send you a PDF file. The wiring is quite tricky, until you understand how the three wire motor works. I think you will be really happy with this low profile and extreamly powerful winch. I know I am.
Lynn Bachman

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just saw this ad on the recycler about 2 seconds ago.

1977 Sidewinder 8K lb. Winch Just Reconditioned. Includes battery cables,relays and remote. Fit's behind the bumper, all you see is the hook. Great deal for 200.
Have Pic's for e-mail. cell is 702-339-3098
[email protected]

Hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts