Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive been told that i will "pop the seals" in my power steering pump if i put a, welded diff/ spool/ locker exc... in the front of my tracker

any truth to this?

94 geo tracker 50% on its wat to being sas'd

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
sir.lance said:
ive been told that i will "pop the seals" in my power steering pump if i put a, welded diff/ spool/ locker exc... in the front of my tracker

any truth to this?

My PS works pretty hard with the F/L and 33s, but is yet to go. 2.5 years now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
sir.lance said:

any truth to this?

He wasn't trying to sell you an antique Toy Celica P/S set-up, was he?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
No. All power steering pumps have a pressure relief or "dump" valve to allow the fluid to bypass once the pumps pressure limit is reached. You should only blow your seals if you have bad seals or a bad dump valve.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm going with the 'kick power steering only because I'm lazy and getting the IFS box in is a pain in the ass unless your tubed or extened the frame. I plan on going to IFS when the fenders are gone but if I don't get this thing up and running soon I'm gonna sell it off. The 'kick set up is easy, cheap, and bolt on..........not to mention I do believe Rudezuk ran one for awhile with no problems. The complaints I here most on 'kick stuff are from people who don't run a hy-steer or crossover, trying to turn 33"s with that 10" custom Z-bar and dual steering stablizers would be a bitch:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Tintop said:
so can you safely run 33's or 35's with a locker with sidekick steering? Thinking about getting tt's kit.
I am running the TT kit on my zuk with my 35 heavy ass boggers and it makes a huge difference:D If only the belt would stop flying off though.....the lower pulley that mounts to my engine might not be straight:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a locked frontend, 35" boggers on 12" wheels and I can palm it with Sidekick p.s. No problems at all, very good setup and pretty economical.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Islandzuki said:

If only the belt would stop flying off though.....the lower pulley that mounts to my engine might not be straight:D
I had the exact same problem. Lost 3 or 4 belts in a week. The pump pulley wasn't aligning. Had to massage the bracket a bit and had no problem since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank u all muchly, thats all i needed to know....:D

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
My Kick has ARB's, but no problems so far. But then, I'm only running 31's...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the sidekick power steering,cooler,33's on 12's spooled front and rear it does great with it in 2wd.As soon as I lock it in 4wd on pavement or dirt it's like having no ps at all.I also shimmed the pump witha washer as thick as a penny.Is there any other trick that can do beside buy a new ps kit?

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
I have the afore-mentioned box off of Rudezuks sami on mine. It worked really good on his, but I am using a yota pump and it isn't nearly as good. My pulley ratios suck though, the pulley on the pump is way bigger than the crank pulley. Anywho, if you use all kick stuff you'll be good. He had 37s and it steered fine even with the ARB on.
Travis..

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been running the Tracker/Sidekick set up on my Sammy for a few years with no failures. I'm running Yota axles with Aussie lockers & 34" Swampers. Can I steer with one finger in the rocks? No. Do I care? No. It steers easy under normal conditions off road & if the front end is bound up it steers harder but still WAY easier than w/o power steering AND I can tell if I'm gonna break something up front if I keep trying to steer when I shouldn't be. I've got a Toyota IFS box, Toyota PU pump, Celica flat belt pump, a FJ60 box, etc. in my shed that I collected but never used. I'm thinking of putting them all on Ebay at this point.
Oh yeah I'm also running a Toyota PU P.S. cooler too.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
One Word, or Two,

HYDRO ASSIST!!!
Also
Drill out all of the ports a couple sizes bigger at the box and pump to allow more FLOW. the biggest problem with the kick stuff is it is severly restricted. I did this with my assist and it is insane. I run 36" tsls welded front and rear and it is a breeze off-road.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Shadow Crawlers said:
One Word, or Two,

HYDRO ASSIST!!!
Also
Drill out all of the ports a couple sizes bigger at the box and pump to allow more FLOW. the biggest problem with the kick stuff is it is severly restricted. I did this with my assist and it is insane. I run 36" tsls welded front and rear and it is a breeze off-road.

I think what we need is a teck article ho how to best setup a kick steering system with and without asist ram.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm rumming a ram assist with kick box and pump and a ez locker in the front-using a 12inch steering wheel(Toy axles and hysteer) and turning at will when locked at the front. Ram assist is THE WAY GO, less of full hydo for the buggys. Aslo acts as a steering dampner for on road users.
Might have some rams for sale and willing to drill and tap your box and mod your pump

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
szki272 said:
I think what we need is a teck article ho how to best setup a kick steering system with and without asist ram.
that would kick ass :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts