Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
This is an easy question for most of you.
I have a 92 Sidekick 5spd and picked up a 89 auto for $200.00 because I wanted the hard top.

Here are my questions: aside from the 6 motor mount bolts, what other bolts (numbers) need to come off in order to pull the engine on an auto vs standard. 2nd how much of a pain in the ass would it be to stick the engine of the auto into mine if I say happened to blow my motor? Finally are all parts from the motor inc computer interchangeable?

Thanks for all your responses
Ryan
89 4runner/92 tracker

·
Registered
600 Posts
it would be in your best interest to buy a manual:flipoff2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bet you've been waiting for the chance to use that "newbie". I use the search often and can't find s#%t. There is a lot of useless crap out there. Kind of like the help you gave me. If you know of a link or a search word that will direct me to what I'm looking for I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Spend some money and buy a service manual, like the rest of us did. Bet you always asked classmates to do your homework too.
Use the S-E-A-R-C-H button.

·
Hophead
77,672 Posts
Shrock said:
damn, the newbies are mean today. :flipoff2:
Feeding on themselves :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks like things are getting back to normal around here.

Hey Newbie,

Open the hood and cut every wire attached to the motor. That should eliminate most of the bolts that you would have to worry about removing if your motor should happen to say....blow up.

Haynes or Chilton books are a better place to look, than this board. Try this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403299693&category=6762

and Welcome!
:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
It can't be done.
The hardtop motor is too big to fit in the soft top body.

The hard top is 1600cc
the side kick motor is a 97cui.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shrock,
Its not that we are mean, its just irritating that some newbies give the rest of us newbies a bad rap. Geeze, I own a 92 and an 89 tracker, I spent the bucks to get factory FSM manuals for each as the two years are not the same electrically or brake system wise. I don't mind helping the next guy with a well thought out question that challenges me, but I'll be damned if I going to do a guys homework just because he's too GD lazy to do a search. Hell, this guy dont need to search, simply look at the top of this section where the "Important! The Official PBB Suzuki FAQ" info is starting to be collected. I supplied wiring info for the 89 tracker/sidekick year, scanned from my FSM. Any blind idiot can see that the two years have different wiring setups on the ECM. Maybe we should have some newbies ID's changed to IDIOT as punishment.

my .02 worth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 89 tracker I picked up is a two piece hard top 2 door....
Look I'm asking these questions because I haven't even seen the vehicle. It is 250 miles away. I had a buddy who lives in the other town who knows [email protected]#t about vehicles look at it for me. I told him if the hard top was in good shape pay them. The vehicle is at his place and I'm not picking it up for 1 month. I don't even know if it is std or auto. Either way I'm still pulling the engine as I can easily sell it where I live.

PS I do have a chilton manual. It is not very concise. The people that designed the manual for my BBQ probably work for chilton

Thanks to all of your replies, both the crappy ones and the informative ones.
Ryan

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Unfortunately, the newbie is right. Ever try to run a SEARCH on the Zuk board? It's piles of this same fucking bullshit: Smacking the newbies around instead of answering the question, or simply moving on.
There was no reason for any of you to reply to this thread, I don't think any of his questions got answered. So, apparently, none of you know the answers, and cover it up with dickheadedness.
He hasn't seen the rig. He is a little excited to get it and wants some preliminary info. Help out, or fuck off.

Met, I would love to help you out, but I yanked the factory crap out of my 'Kick and dropped it in the garbage can in favor of a 4.3 V6.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey if you dont have a comment to help him or some friendly ribbing dont be so damn mean. He didnt word it so badly or come back with attitude.

If you dont find what you need visit

www.rockymountainextreme.com Post in technical talk, also check out www.orc.com i think thats what the major off road BBS is.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Hey twisted,
I don’t think searching would help.
I doubt anyone has covered a basic motor swap on this board.

Come on, a 1.6 into a 1.6
That’s like asking how to change your socks.
I had to smack that one down.

If he had a specific question, he would have gotten a specific answer.

Hey metcalfr,
On a Suzuki, if both motors are the same size, they will work.
The differences are between efi and carb versions.
All major components are the same.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Uh...SilverZuk? Did you read my post? Go back and read it a little more slowly. Get it? Got it? Good grief.

I know a search would not have helped, that's why I'm pissed off. Yes, your reply was funny( and probably had to be said), and you finally added some useful info in your last post. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. I know I refuse to do a search on this board. All you find is assholes saying "SEARCH!!!!" Maybe this shouldn't be a TECH board, but a board to search for the word "SEARCH!!!!".

Here's another one for you- I have a Sidekick. It has a 4.3. If I were to look at a stock Sidekick I could not tell you what size it is. I don't know, and have never cared. If I were to run home and do a goddamn search, all I would find is Kd7srj45doremxco saying SEARCH!!!!.
Besides, he didn't ask if it WOULD fit, he asked how much of a PITA it is to go from an auto to a manny tranny ,as in flywheel, torque converter, radiator, is the auto vaccuum assisted, blah, blah, blah. There's a lot of little shit to consider. I think he was looking for a "Don't bother", or a "no sweat."

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
In case you havnt noticed, the FAQ is looking pretty weak !!

NO ONE is contributing...... Most seem to think everyone else is working on it...

I've seen numerous threads in the last week that had usefull FAQ type info. I don't have time to sit here and troll each thread for info. BUT if eveyone pitches in we have somthing good to show......

Whats up with all this? If its easier to dump it all in the main FAQ fine go for it... Maybe we can get our mod. to clean it up after.

Any other ideas? Here where the loud mouths can step up and provide some other "ideas" rather than bash people...

metcalfrrrr....
On a final note, I can't answer your questions, id have to look to see what bolts you dont have removed... Does your 92 have the 8v? TBI ? TPI? I dont personally know the break down on the kicks.... But if you got the same system id say that likly most/all just could be reused. Engine swap? are you using air tools? Have you done one before ? 2-10 hours depending on tools/skills/beer/etc....

I'd strongly recamend a manual....

-yag

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, now I can be honest and say a big thankyou to some good responses and links, esp twistedmetal. It felt like I was on my usual 4Runner forum, a little more friendly to us newbie assholes. I admit I had a big hard on as I got a great deal on the other vehicle and figured if the engines were more or less compatable I would keep the other as a spare if it weren't a bitch to swap manual engine to auto engine (keeping the manual trans of course).

One last question. Are the T-cases the same? My Chilton manual only covers from 93-97. Thanks again

PS I may have a shitload of spare parts in one month. Will keep posted.

metcalfr
(89 tracker, 92 Sunrunner, 89 4Runner SR5, 94 Acord EX)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In one months time I will know what extra parts I have. PM me in a month and we will see what we can do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts