·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Federal Register: September 11, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 175)]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Forest Service

Sierra National Forest, California, Sierra National Forest Motorized Travel Management EIS

AGENCY: Forest Service, USDA.

ACTION: Notice of intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: The Sierra National Forest (Sierra NF) will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement to disclose the impacts associated with the following proposed actions: 1. The prohibition of wheeled motorized vehicle travel off designated NFS roads, NFS trails and areas by the public except as allowed by permit or other authorization. 2. The addition of approximately 54 miles of existing unauthorized tracks to the current system of National Forest System (NFS) motorized trails, the permanent conversion of 72 miles of NFS Roads to NFS Trails, the management of 61 miles of NFS Roads as NFS Trails and the addition of six acres for motorized use. 3. The changing of the allowable use or season of use on approximately 970 miles of existing NFS Roads and closing approximately 200 miles of existing NFS Roads to public access unless allowed by permit or other authorization.

DATES: The comment period on the proposed action will extend 45 days from the date the Notice of Intent is published in the Federal Register.

Completion of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) is expected in November 2007 and the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) is expected in January 2008.

ADDRESSES: Send written comments to: Travel Management Team, Sierra NF, 1600 Tollhouse Rd., Clovis, CA 93611.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Tom Lowe, Sierra NF, 1600 Tollhouse Rd., Clovis, CA 93611; Phone: (559) 297-0706 extension 4840. E-mail: [email protected] .

Click here to read the complete Federal Register Notice - http://www.muirnet.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/e7-17834.htm

·
16,231 Posts
I am hoping that the headache we are giving to the FS in ELDO may have lead to these "differences" in other National Forests...

They are ADDING 54 miles of unathorized routes and six acres (big wow.....)?

and this one:

closing approximately 200 miles of existing NFS Roads to public access unless allowed by permit or other authorization

In Eldo, existing roads are closed FOREVER and are being left to revegitate. If they will allow permit or aother access to these routes, I wonder if they are going to continue to maintain them?

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Since this is in my backyard, I am going to print all the maps, and look at what they are planning on closing, and opening.

I will keep everyone informed of what I figure out.

Todd

·
Land Use Zeus
2,881 Posts
We are in full WAR

If you've not quite accepted it yet, we are in full force WAR with those folks that want to close us down, while battling and working with (in some cases) those folks that have to manage our public lands. It's WAR. Time has come.

Every Forest in America, every BLM area, about every chunk of public land is under a new and serious scrutiny. Now don't be dismayed or give up. It just means we gotta work a little. It's not the end. Our sport will live. We just gotta pony up, write letters, join groups and organizations, and be in the game. It has caught up with us.

Let's show em what we got.

Del

1 - 4 of 4 Posts