Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
August 12-15, 2010: Sierra Trek 2010... we're headed back to the same Fordyce Trail, with a return to Summit City, on the shores of Meadow Lake.

Sierra Trek is the granddaddy of Cal4Wheel's events. It is held in northern California near Truckee. The short wheelbase event goes over the famous Fordyce Trail, and there are also moderate runs and an SUV historical tour.

New for 2010:
- Thursday and Friday SWB trips will run the FULL Fordyce Creek Trail.
- NEW TRAILS: Friday Top-End and Saturday River Run
- MEALS: All trail rides include continental breakfasts on trail day, and breakfasts and dinners in camp. See your registration for lunch details.
- The famous SIERRA TREK SALOON and bonfire will be back in action at Meadow Lake Base Camp.
Click HERE for more info!

We hope to see you there -- and we want you to bring your friends!

Randii
Randy Burleson
2010 Sierra Trek Co-Chair

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Click HERE for online registration or click HERE to download registration. This is one of Cal4Wheel's largest fund-raisers that helps OHV-ers across the state:
- helps keep our state lobby, who worked hard to renew legislation to continue support for the State Park's OHV Division
- keeps our paid Natural Resources Consultants, John Stewart and Amy Granat, fighting for our access
- supports the meeting room facility for groups like the CORVA Comments Project, Friends of the Rubicon, Rubicon Trail Foundation, and others

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Run List

Sierra Trek Run Descriptions: http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=187&Itemid=250- Thursday and Friday SWB: This run traverses the famous Fordyce Creek Trail from Indian Springs to Meadow Lake. This is a highly technical trail with a rating of 9. A lift, locking differential and 33-inch tires highly advised. O'dark-thirty departure.
- Thursday SUV Historic Trip: This narrated historic tour of the Tahoe National Forest is spectacular. Learn about the Donner Party tragedy and take in a bird's-eye view of Lake Tahoe.
- Friday Star Trek: Run the Fordyce Creek Trail under the Stars. Trail rating of 10. It is strongly recommended that drivers have previously run this trail at least once, vehicles must have a locking differential (or limited slip) and minimum of 33-inch tires. Departs 6 PM Friday from Indian Springs.
- Friday Top-End SWB Run: Stages near Cisco Grove and heads to Fordyce Lake, then across Fordyce Creek and up Winch Hills 3, 4 & 5 to Meadow Lake. A lift, locking differential and 33-inch tires highly advised. O'dark-thirty departure. Trail rating of 9.
- Saturday River Run: For the first time we'll be running the trail backwards from Meadow Lake to the river crossing and then back to camp. Lockers, lifts and 33-inch tires highly recommended. Departs from Meadow Lake Base Camp at 7 AM. Trail rating of 9. (You may add this as an extra run for just $25 per vehicle if you are registered for Thurs/Fri full trailride).
- Saturday Intermediate: Experience the High Sierra Gold Country on our guided Intermediate 4WD run. Trail rating of 5. Departs Saturday a.m. from Base Camp.
- Saturday Historical/SUV: A narrated tour of historic Summit City, the Miner's Cabin, Hartley's grave and Meadow Lake area.

If you're not running the trail, we still want to see you at the party! :beer:
- Food and Entertainment only: Includes Sierra Trek Saloon, live music, all camp activities and meals: Thursday dinner, Friday and Saturday breakfast & dinner, Sunday breakfast. Register for this if you are not running a trail.
- Entertainment only: Includes all camp activities and camping (unless you camp in the PG&E campground). No meals or trail ride included.

·
1,848 Posts
Sign up all. It's gonna be fun, especially the FOF led Saturday River Run!:smokin:

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With recognition of the original Cal4Wheel Safety Rules, I made two motions to the Cal4Wheel Board of Directors to change the Association Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) regarding spare tires and parking brakes… I wanted to remove a couple of obstacles from the path of potential participants for Trek and other association events.

Discussions took about a half hour, all told, but the updated requirements will be as follows:
- spare tire within 3” diameters of other ties, or, for tires 37” or larger, run-flats or tools to repair/reinflate tire
- parking brake, emergency brake, hydraulic line-lock, or redundant braking systems

The intent of these new changes is to remove what some folks saw as an apparent ‘desire to exclude’ and help ensure that Trek and other Association events are inclusive and welcoming to all four-wheel drive vehicles. I took this issue to the Board, they agreed, and we evolved.

Randii

p.s. many thanks to Dustin Webster, who helped with the wording...

·
Registered
733 Posts
With recognition of the original Cal4Wheel Safety Rules, I made two motions to the Cal4Wheel Board of Directors to change the Association Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) regarding spare tires and parking brakes… I wanted to remove a couple of obstacles from the path of potential participants for Trek and other association events.

Discussions took about a half hour, all told, but the updated requirements will be as follows:
- spare tire within 3” diameters of other ties, or, for tires 37” or larger, run-flats or tools to repair/reinflate tire
- parking brake, emergency brake, hydraulic line-lock, or redundant braking systems

The intent of these new changes is to remove what some folks saw as an apparent ‘desire to exclude’ and help ensure that Trek and other Association events are inclusive and welcoming to all four-wheel drive vehicles. I took this issue to the Board, they agreed, and we evolved.

Randii

Good job on getting that passed through. That was pretty frustrating at the last trek meeting.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
so nice to see the event coming back to meadow.........

--Sherpa

·
1,848 Posts
....updated requirements will be as follows:

Randy, this is HUGE! Thanks to you and the BOD.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Randii

Randy,

This is great. I think a have a few other people that will attend now that they don't need to find and store a huge spare tire. I plan on getting to Meadow lake the Sat before Trek, so if any help is needed in base camp I'll be more than happy to lend a hand.

Bernie

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Co-Chair? awsome Randii.!!
Great to hear your stepping up big time, i don't know where you find the time :laughing:.. more power to ya bro!!! YOU inspire us all!!

paging greeneyedwench to staging for catfish fry......

Lets make 2010 a great event!!

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words, folks! I've persistently presented good ideas at Cal4Wheel, and had good luck getting reasonable changes (some of 'em were YOUR good ideas), though I'll admit that sometimes they have taken a while to achieve. First, my buddy Oops had too much wheelbase, so we got that stretched. Next, some other friends had over-width relative to the rules, so we simplified those rules (the trail was already wider than the rigs). That year, Bebe ran on the trail, and from what I heard, her H3 did well, and the H1 did, too... they certainly were in camp for drinks early! Last year, some buggy friends asked about spare tires and parking brakes, and I was back up to bat. Since I'm Past President of RTF these days, I have a little more time, and Trek needed a Co-Chair, so here I am! :cool2:

paging greeneyedwench to staging for catfish fry......
Kimber is going to be in Main Camp, but I know there's fish there, as well... and Wheeler surely can fish!

HOPEFULLY, the Rock Zombies can become a cal4 club and run a winch hill!:grinpimp:
Travis, I support both of these things, but there is no necessary interconnection between them... we have multiple groups who help on Sierra Trek committees as independents!
That said, let me know if I can help with either!

Brian said it as well as anyone...
Lets make 2010 a great event!!
Randii
Randy Burleson
2010 Sierra Trek Co-Chair

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, folks! I've persistently presented good ideas at Cal4Wheel, and had good luck getting reasonable changes (some of 'em were YOUR good ideas), though I'll admit that sometimes they have taken a while to achieve. First, my buddy Oops had too much wheelbase, so we got that stretched. Next, some other friends had over-width relative to the rules, so we simplified those rules (the trail was already wider than the rigs). That year, Bebe ran on the trail, and from what I heard, her H3 did well, and the H1 did, too... they certainly were in camp for drinks early! Last year, some buggy friends asked about spare tires and parking brakes, and I was back up to bat. Since I'm Past President of RTF these days, I have a little more time, and Trek needed a Co-Chair, so here I am! :cool2:
Randii our sport has evolved and with your help Trek has also. It's a win win for everyone. Thank you!

I was wondering when they were going to do something about a spare tire.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for bringing these ideas to the Cal 4 Wheel Board. I was pleased to be the seconding signature on your motions.

Helen Baker
CA4WDC Board Member (Ret)

Well not really retired, just moving on to take over the Win A Jeep Program!

And also, the Cal 4 Wheel Contingency Program. Whoo Hoo. Three Cal 4 members won congingency money at KOH!!!

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for bringing these ideas to the Cal 4 Wheel Board. I was pleased to be the seconding signature on your motions.
Helen is full proof that grey-haired leaders at Cal4Wheel can and do get it (she's got a grey mane that I envy as a former hippie!)... heck, though my own hair appears to be falling out faster than it can change color, I am getting pretty silver around the temples, as well!

There continues to be solid opportunity for younger folks (when the hell did I turn into an 'older folk'?!?!) to step up and lead at Cal4Wheel, and I was tickled to see the Board so open to considering well-reasoned changes to their SOP. I can pledge that same level of opennness to change at Trek, even with full acknowledgement of the long history of the event.

If you've got a change, and it makes sense in the context of Sierra Trek, let's talk about it! I'll probably invite you to volunteer to bring it into reality, but I have seen some great ideas executed well in the ten years I have been helping with Trek (i.e. climbing wall, half-trail days, river run, rules adjustments, etc.). There's a balance to be found supporting history and moving forward, let's find it together.

Randii

·
Registered
353 Posts
Helen is full proof that grey-haired leaders at Cal4Wheel can and do get it (she's got a grey mane that I envy as a former hippie!)...
Randii
Randy,

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a redhead and I will be until hell freezes over... no matter what color my hair is.

Helen

1 - 20 of 169 Posts