Pirate 4x4 banner

261 - 280 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #267

I scaled this thing on the weekend and it weighs in at 5750 fully loaded. With I usually carry. Lots of tools and spare parts. I pulled out a bunch of spare parts and tools, spare tire, chainsaw and no extra fuel and it weighed 5325. But I’d really light to shave off some weight if I could. The rear is pretty light, and easy to remove weight off. The front is more of a challenge. There’s not much to remove up there. There’s no extra.

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
Find some better doors and put them aside for next winter and hack these up. Remove all glass, motors, etc or make tube doors. I assume the back seat is gone? Won't shave a ton, bu those doors are heavy.

You are on tons, 40's, substantial tube work AND a factory body. It's never going to be much lighter IMO

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Find some better doors and put them aside for next winter and hack these up. Remove all glass, motors, etc or make tube doors. I assume the back seat is gone? Won't shave a ton, bu those doors are heavy.

You are on tons, 40's, substantial tube work AND a factory body. It's never going to be much lighter IMO
The thing is, I need it lighter for winter specifically! Haha I think the cab must be heavy on these trucks. And engine maybe. Because this truck weighed 5200 lbs stock.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I had stripped some rear doors (including the inner structure) on my 4runner and was going to just do a bolt in lexan window. Glass and power windows are heavy.

A few guys around here have done half doors with soft uppers.

Also, the 3.4 and auto aren't very lightweight either. Nothing about a modern vehicle is light :laughing:

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
The thing is, I need it lighter for winter specifically! Haha I think the cab must be heavy on these trucks. And engine maybe. Because this truck weighed 5200 lbs stock.
I had stripped some rear doors (including the inner structure) on my 4runner and was going to just do a bolt in lexan window. Glass and power windows are heavy.

A few guys around here have done half doors with soft uppers.
Sounds like you need to get creative then.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Nice. That’s rare these days I feel like most people go to auto. I swapped my auto for a manual and have loved it except bumper to bumper traffic:( you’re gonna have dual cases I assume?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Did you break something?
Probably.

Manual swap?
Yessir.

Nice. That’s rare these days I feel like most people go to auto. I swapped my auto for a manual and have loved it except bumper to bumper traffic:( you’re gonna have dual cases I assume?
Yes I have duals now and I’ll put the in there again. Should save a little weight on the trans itself since I think it’s like 40 lbs lighter. And manual Tacoma’s seem to have a lot more get up and go. So maybe I’ll have a bit more chooch

261 - 280 of 314 Posts