Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking looking at a single axle 6 1/2' x 12' trailer to haul my jeep. Since my jeep YJ only weighs 3K, I'm not sure I need a tandem axle. The trailer axle would end up under the front seats which would put it fairly tongue heavy. Anyone else hauling thier jeep on a small single axle? Does this sound like a reasonable setup?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Search, its been covered before. Also, have you weighed the YJ, or are you just guessing? 3k sounds really light.

Pete

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I scaled my yj at 3400LBS with me and my son in it, so I'm guessing 3150LBS + 500LBS for the trailer.

·
Hophead
77,674 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Think flimmy has the idea :) , I don't really want to buy a 3000LB trailer to haul my 3000LB jeep.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You could buld something like the one I posted using a dually truck axle. Just do a spring under to get the deck height low.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Norm said:
I Think flimmy has the idea :) , I don't really want to buy a 3000LB trailer to haul my 3000LB jeep.
What are you towing with? Your tongue weight will likely be a lot more than 10% of your load. I'm assuming if you're concerned about 1500 lb, you're towing with something smaller that won't handle the added tongue weight very well.

Check this thread for common trailer weights.

Bryan

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
flimmy said:
You could buld something like the one I posted using a dually truck axle. Just do a spring under to get the deck height low.
One word of warning on that. Those dually trailer tires, *could* push you in to a CDL. At least in WA state it looks like it does, if it were me I would check.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Norm said:
Understood. But, my twin-axle 16' trailer is just 1,400lbs with brakes on both axles. And it's infinitely more useful than a single-axle 12-footer when it comes time to haul stuff OTHER than a Jeep ;) If you really got creative, you could build a sub-1,000lb twin-axle trailer of about 14' in length that would be much safer & more useful than a single-axle 12-footer IMO.

TEX

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
Norm said:
I'll go in with Tex on this one... I run a 20' equipment trailer, wood deck, rated for 14k lbs with 2 7klb brake axles, & it only weighs 2600... & it is way overkill even for my fullsize. I don't think it would be hard to hit right around the 1000lb mark to do a smaller tandem axle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts