Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a single joint front drive shaft In the front of my jeep and I'm getting sick of the vibes does anyone know about what angle the shaft would have to be to be almost vibe free.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if your wondering it's a tom woods shaft, with a tom woods superflex universal 1350 u-joint, connecting the TC to the drive shaft and then a regular greasable u-joint to a high pinion 60. The jeep has R.E. 5.5 coils up in front.

·
Registered
261 Posts
just curious why not run a double cardin in the front and be done with it??

remember.... a TJ came with a DC front drive shaft from the factory....

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
if your wondering it's a tom woods shaft, with a tom woods superflex universal 1350 u-joint, connecting the TC to the drive shaft and then a regular greasable u-joint to a high pinion 60. The jeep has R.E. 5.5 coils up in front.
Are you talking the TW offset U-joint?
If so, it states clearly on the web page that it may cause vibrations.

X2 on logging hubs if thats the case.

Don't forget that a double cardin joint is only required if the TC output & pumpkin output are not in alignment (IE, not just the up & down or "Y" axis, but left to right or "X" axis).

·
K^2
2,786 Posts

a TJ also came with said shaft almost pointed straight into the front pinion.

If you run a double cardan upper joint and a single lower, unless the pinion is pointed straight at the output it will still get vibes. In other words, he would have to cut and turn his c's

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am going to end up running a CV front shaft. I'm lowering the jeep done this weekend, and I wanted to see if I would be in the ball park, of no vibes. I do have lockable hubs and driveing around town is fine. I was at badlands off road park, and drive for spot to spot got frustrateing, either had to get out and unlock the hubs, or drive 5 MPH. The next day though I took a turn and goosed it I broke the rear drive shaft some how. Now lets say I broke it on a trail. It would be nice to beable to pull the rear DS and drive home in front wheel drive.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Is it a new driveshaft or maybe you knocked a weight off of it from wheeling that may be the cause of your vibes. And yeah get some locking hubs and you should be good to go. I just got home from the driveline shop, had a bad vibe in my front d/shaft and had knocked a weight off of it this past weekend. Took it in and luckily the shop didnt charge me a dime to rebalance and paint it.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts