Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if your wondering it's a tom woods shaft, with a tom woods superflex universal 1350 u-joint, connecting the TC to the drive shaft and then a regular greasable u-joint to a high pinion 60. The jeep has R.E. 5.5 coils up in front.

·
Registered
232 Posts
just curious why not run a double cardin in the front and be done with it??

remember.... a TJ came with a DC front drive shaft from the factory....

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
10,975 Posts
if your wondering it's a tom woods shaft, with a tom woods superflex universal 1350 u-joint, connecting the TC to the drive shaft and then a regular greasable u-joint to a high pinion 60. The jeep has R.E. 5.5 coils up in front.
Are you talking the TW offset U-joint?
If so, it states clearly on the web page that it may cause vibrations.

X2 on logging hubs if thats the case.

Don't forget that a double cardin joint is only required if the TC output & pumpkin output are not in alignment (IE, not just the up & down or "Y" axis, but left to right or "X" axis).

·
K^2
2,634 Posts

a TJ also came with said shaft almost pointed straight into the front pinion.

If you run a double cardan upper joint and a single lower, unless the pinion is pointed straight at the output it will still get vibes. In other words, he would have to cut and turn his c's

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am going to end up running a CV front shaft. I'm lowering the jeep done this weekend, and I wanted to see if I would be in the ball park, of no vibes. I do have lockable hubs and driveing around town is fine. I was at badlands off road park, and drive for spot to spot got frustrateing, either had to get out and unlock the hubs, or drive 5 MPH. The next day though I took a turn and goosed it I broke the rear drive shaft some how. Now lets say I broke it on a trail. It would be nice to beable to pull the rear DS and drive home in front wheel drive.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Is it a new driveshaft or maybe you knocked a weight off of it from wheeling that may be the cause of your vibes. And yeah get some locking hubs and you should be good to go. I just got home from the driveline shop, had a bad vibe in my front d/shaft and had knocked a weight off of it this past weekend. Took it in and luckily the shop didnt charge me a dime to rebalance and paint it.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.