Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a oppertunity to pick up a running sj-40 with a warn82474 on the front of it for $800. The thing is gutless as hell so I want to do a motor swap. I have access to a toyota 4 cyl with a 5sp out of a 2 wheel drive.
I have read that it is a longer motor(I did search) on all that but was wondering if the sj-40 is the same as the sammi?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
The frame is different, axles are not as wide, the springs are more inboard, & there is less clearance under the hood for a big motor so a body lift is necessary unless you drop the radiator and engine low in the engine bay. Heck, just buy it, keep the Winch (removing it will probably lift the front end back up 3 inches!) then resell it to make a few $$$ then get a 1986 - 1995 Zuk.

Good luck

Sean

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok

holy cow its nothing like a sammi. This would have been my first zuki so I had no idea it was that different. I think I may reconsider now.... oh well thanks

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
sj-x said:
the sj40 -s more like an lj80, but i THINK it's really an LJ40.., real old
and rare around here...I'd buy it just cuz it's cool!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think

I may be wrong but I think it came from canada. Humm I will have to think about it I will try to post some pics of it later. Its lifted and got 33's on it. With stock gearing so thats why it is rrreeaallly gutless lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm doing something simulair, only to a SJ410 because in Hawaii it is hard to find a Sammy. I was lucky that when I got the SJ410 the guy also gave me a 1.3 and tranny. I have purchased a Samurai frame and rear axle from a friend and the frontaxle, and springs from a junkyard and have payed around $350 for everything. I am in the process of putting the SJ410 body on the frame which requires redrilling two body mounts. The reason I am doing this is that all the Samurai parts are much stronger, but the one problem I see you having is with your T-case, I believe yours is very weak and a new one could be expensive, but you might find one in a junkyard thats good, look for one out of an 84 SJ410, they have lower gears, but if you can't, any Samurai T-case is just as good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts