Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for experiences grafting other engines in sj410. Mine is an 85. tired of putting money in 45hp rig. Have very limited funds and now have lost good workshop. Possible 1.3 sammy motor and trans. Also... anybody ever milk out a roached rod bearing/crank for a little while with some kind of farmer-used car lot trick. search has yielded nothing really useable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I heard that some saw dust will get it going a couple hundred more miles but I wouldn't try it myslef. I've hear of sucess with engine restore too. But again it isn't first hand experience.

Good Luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm gonna put a 22r in mine, tho I do already have the toy axles under it, so it will all match up. I wouldn't waste time putting a 50hp motor, to replace the 45hp.you have to change the motor mount locations anyway, may as well make your work worth while, my .02

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
An Isuzu 2.3L with the 4-speed isuzu tranny/t-case will swap into an SJ410 utilizing the same stock motor mounts, and with very little modifications to the tunnel (just making a hole for the Isuzu t-case shifter).

Would make a strong set up, but would have a carbureted engine, and a t-case that has limited gearing options.

For those of you that have SJ410s, I may need to talk about robbing some parts off of your engines when you are done with them. I am trying to get a project going in my garage, and seem to be missing a few odd and ends components from the SJ410 parts that I have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be able to help with parts. My tranny is the best shifting standard I have ever driven- I also just bought a shift sheet for it ( still in bag), engine ran great til now- really good sidedraft on it. I also have a local guy with a few sj and one lj lying around. My friend has his rolled blazer sitting next to my sj- I am getting the engine (4.3) really cheap but the parts list to put it in my sj without hacking the body is quite extensive.

·
Registered
330 Posts
isuzu

can you put that combo in front of the zuk t case kuz if you can i just might look into trying it!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Re: isuzu

rabidray said:
can you put that combo in front of the zuk t case kuz if you can i just might look into trying it!!!!!!!!!!!
IIRC, the Isuzu Tranny and t-case are integrated, so I don't think it will work...

·
Registered
330 Posts
if the

motor trany combined legth is as long as the stock zuk setup is its very possible .......also haveing the front output drop on the pass side would be a +.......it could even be 6 inches longer and still fit for a dual t-case setup on a swb zuk in an lwb zuk it would be even easier i think

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Starslope said:
it might sound odd but it's as much trouble mouting a 1.3 litre into a 410 as fitting any other engine.
Well, besides it being lighter than the cast iron 1 L, and the pieces to make it fit being readily available on Samurais...

You'd need a sammy tranny, the samurai jackshaft or just the portion that goes into the tranny. A sammy hood, the engine mounts and the metal frame side portion of them. The sammy radiator is needed too.

Some work where the tailshaft of the tranny is supported on the frame in needed and the tranny tunnel needs reworked.
Ken

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds as if the jackshaft length is right , just splined differently than 1.3 trans. I actually already run a 1.8 sidekick radiator in my sj so I guess that would be one les thing. I could just put a new crank and bearings in it but it would still be a well worn 45hp motor. hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, engine knocks bad. I had to take pieces of bearing out- just to move it around. Wish I had somewhere out of the rain and mosquitos to work on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are you referring to mine or to one in your possesion for sale?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am refering to one I have in my possesion. I am really looking to get rid of my shit, cheap. The tranny has a broken shifter bushing (typical zuk problem) and the engine I believe has a bad head gasket and it ran and idled when I pulled it. I also have a T-case and 4.56 R&P's the rear carrier is welded, the axle are in good shape.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you talking about the little 3 cylinder deal? My bud punnisher had heard that but could not confirm it. Hawk said the 85 trans was an orphan that nothing bolted too. Is it any 3 cyl or certain model years- wasn't there a 90hp turbo model? are we just talking about canadian pontiac fireflys or something marketed here under different brands? :confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi starslope,have been unable to contact you by pm or email, was hoping for some info on other sj410 motor swaps ( they are a lot more common in your part of planet right?). I am not looking to put 1000hp in it like yours , just a 4 or 6 cyl powerplant common to the USA. Got any friends with good results in theirs? thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 1.0L turbo motor is from the Pontiac Firefly and the turbo Sprint. I had just found a turbo Sprint at the local junkyard a couple of weeks ago, complete motor (less the intercooler). I wanted the rims for my Metro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sounds like the 4.3 is still the most likely candidate. I have only run across one 3cylinder in all my junkyard travels and I don't know its history - may have been hi mileage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts