Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are you all using for skid plate material? What holds up and what doesn't? For those that are using UHMW, do you prefer it over just a steel skid? Can you get away with less thickness of steel if you use some UHMW under the steel? The one I am working on is out of lighter steel 3/16" and will have 1/4" UHMW. If I had dimple dies that would be an obvious upgrade for the lighter steel. So, what do you have and what have you thrashed. Pictures are always good. Trying to decide if the 3/16" is a waste and/or if the UHMW is a waste. Obviously the wider area you have to span with the skid, the stronger it has to be. Maybe some cross bracing of some sort?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
1/4" UHMW wouldn't last on our rigs...too thin and we'd kill it instantly. We're using 7/16" right now and it's got a decent balance of durability...maybe others can make 1/4" last, but we couldn't, it'd be torn right away.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I went from 1/2 UHMW to a braced steel skid that has 1/8" under the oil pan, 1/4" under the trans, 1/8" under the xfer.

I like the steel much much more. It make me slip and slide so much better and the way I can conform the steel around my drive train along with being at least 1/4" better for clearance really seals the deal for me.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What kinda vehicle is this for? If the skidplate on there now mounts directly to the drivetrain, think about building a new crossmember to support the drivetrain. It also makes servicing much easier as you dont have to jack the skid up at all.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeep

It is going in a jeep. I made a cradle between the engine mounts for the front half of the skid to mount to, and it travels back to the crossmember, just in front of the tcase. It does not span between the frame rails, just runs down the middle of the drivetrain protecting the oil pan on both motor and tranny.

I need to decide if it is worth it to put that 1/4" UHMW on the bottom of the skid. Will the 1/4" of ground clearance be better than the surface of the plastic or is it pointless unless I have pretty thick UHMW. My wheelbase is still relatively short at 95 or so and I don't use the belly as a pivot every day like some of yall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts