Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like input on bar spacing that will hold back snow. My goal is the sweet spot of being able to see through the bars and somewhat holding back fluffy snow.

I'm in the process of converting a dirt bucket to snow. I'm raising the back part of the bucket mostly so balls of ice don't land in the cab. I added 4 two inch receivers at the top of the bucket and cut some 1.5x2 inch tubing spikes to drop in the receivers.

I'm gonna weld horizontal bars between these uprights. I've got diamond drill rod that measures 1.75 diameter. I'm thinking the bars should have 1.5 inch spaces between them. Three rows will give me added height of 13 inches.

If most types of snow are just gonna fly right through a 1.5 inch opening, then I might as well only put two rows and have better vision through the bars.

Anyone with experience care to give their input?

P1051166.jpg

P1051167.jpg

P1051172.jpg

P1051174.jpg

·
Dirt Engineer
505 Posts
trial it in the snow with different configurations of plywood attached to the posts with clamps. See what works and what obscures your vision too much. Then replicate the best version in steel.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is the goal to try to build a dual purpose bucket? Or just a good snow bucket with visibility?
Definitely dual purpose. I've only got one bucket (so far).

It's gonna be a fence that will sit in the 4 "sockets" welded to the bucket. I'm not using 2x2 because I'm 99% sure I'd never get the fence out after a season. I'm hoping the 1.5x2 will be easier to remove.

I'd really like to be able to see through it so I can nose up to garage doors and backblade.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You would be fine with 1.5” spacing, the snow buckets I use at work have at least 2” square holes with 1” of flat steel between them. I can measure them in the morning and let you know. By the time snow is at the back of your bucket it is being compacted and sticks together more than when it’s undisturbed and fluffy on the ground.

Side note: my math puts 3 rows of 1.75” rod w/ 1.5” spacing at 9.75”, 4 rows is 13”.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
No real/useful experience as such, but somebody used to make (maybe still does?) a plow blade that the main blade face was clear-ish polycarbonate. Put a couple support bars in there, one at the top, one at the bottom, maybe one in the middle, and you could do the same, polycarbonate in the 1/8" or so thickness is surprisingly strong, light weight, and still see-through, and the last time I bought some, under $100 for a 4x8 sheet.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
trial it in the snow with different configurations of plywood attached to the posts with clamps. See what works and what obscures your vision too much. Then replicate the best version in steel.
Did this, couldn`t see shit, decided to space them out 4.5 inches.

Side note: my math puts 3 rows of 1.75” rod w/ 1.5” spacing at 9.75”, 4 rows is 13”.
:homer: I forgot what I had written down at the shop. It was way too many bars way too close, and way too heavy.

You could use some heavy expanded steel.
I absolutely despise that stuff, it`s miserable to work with and easily fucked up, but it`s what I ended up using.

I don`t mind it so much if it`s used sparingly. Still a pain to weld all those little tacks, and even worse to cut out to replace.

Snow buckets aren't that expensive. A dirt bucket is tiny for moving snow.

I'd find something 80-100" wide at least.
I ain`t doing commercial parking lots, and I ain`t making money with this little honey. 6.5 feet is as wide as I can use.

Whole thing weighs around 50 lbs, and is easy to remove and install. I`m 100% sure if I had used 2x2 tubing it would bind so bad in multiple receivers that I`d need to use the machine to pull it out.

P1101192.jpg

P1101195.jpg

This is the view from the seat, I have a clear view of the cutting edge.

P1101187.jpg

Nosed up to a door.

P1101190.jpg

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only meshed the bottom so far, I`ll wait to plow to decide if I`ll do the upper as well.

P1101200.jpg

You can see the upper bar does hold back snow, but quite a lot still comes through. I can still easily make fluff snow and big balls of hard pack come over the top. Could probably use a fourth row.

P1101207.jpg

P1101204.jpg

P1101210.jpg

P1101214.jpg

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Did this, couldn`t see shit, decided to space them out 4.5 inches.

:homer: I forgot what I had written down at the shop. It was way too many bars way too close, and way too heavy.

I absolutely despise that stuff, it`s miserable to work with and easily fucked up, but it`s what I ended up using.

I don`t mind it so much if it`s used sparingly. Still a pain to weld all those little tacks, and even worse to cut out to replace.

I ain`t doing commercial parking lots, and I ain`t making money with this little honey. 6.5 feet is as wide as I can use.

Whole thing weighs around 50 lbs, and is easy to remove and install. I`m 100% sure if I had used 2x2 tubing it would bind so bad in multiple receivers that I`d need to use the machine to pull it out.

View attachment 2958504

View attachment 2958506

This is the view from the seat, I have a clear view of the cutting edge.

View attachment 2958508

Nosed up to a door.

View attachment 2958510
I don't plow commercially with my setup either. Just the shop parking lot, driveway and log yard area. Maybe an acre total.

It sucks moving snow with a dirt bucket vs a snow bucket. That dirt bucket is tiny period.

I do work as an equipment operator at night, we do snow removal on about 4700 acres of land. Everything from several 988s with plow to shovels. So have a bit of experience moving snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts