Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went wheeling with my club for the first time this past weekend. Had a blast.

I'm running basically a tiny bit beyond stock. I don't have a lot of money, and I'm not really all that mechanically inclined. (So I can replace most of the basic things, bumpers, stereo, mounting a CB, but when it comes to some of the bigger stuff, I go for some help.) I have a '93 YJ Wrangler, 2.5L 4 Cyl motor, 1 3/8" body lift, and some extended shackles (nothing too tacky, just a little longer than stock that came with the jeep.) I'm running 31x10.50's at the moment.

Ended up busting the passenger side motor mount this weekend, and so working on getting the replacement parts and getting that fixed right now. (With some good help from a fellow club member). The old one was previously weakened (unknown to me) and rusted out, so this trip basically just sped up what was going to happen.

On that note, I realized that skid plates are needed, would have been nice a few days ago. Eventually I plan on lifting it and building it bigger, but for now I need to take it one step at a time.

So my next step is an Engine Skid. I've been looking at Skid Row for this at the moment, and was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions possible.

I've talked to my local shop (Lou at Elias 4x4 in Townsend, MA) and he said that when I plan on going for a lift, he really recommends BDS suspension. I want to try and go 2.5" or 3.5". Once again, I don't have enough money for the SYE kit just yet, and I was told that both of those lifts I wouldn't have to really mess around too hard with that. I also don't have a welder, so going SOA right away doesn't seem like the right call just yet.

I'd love to do an engine swap, it's just not in my budget at the moment. (So please refrain from telling me that I should just swap it out, it's not the cheapest of things and I can't afford it at the moment.)

Once this rig is not my DD, I plan on really tearing into it. But it definitely has a few more years left of being a DD before I can let it sit in the shop for awhile, and so I'm taking it all with a grain of salt.

So, basically:

-Engine Skid company suggestions for a 2.5L '93 YJ?
-Lift Suggestions?

And any other help would be appreciated as well. I'm trying to buy good parts that will last me awhile, on a limited budget. (As I turned down a cheap Rusty's lift because I want something that's actually quality.)

If anyone has some good suggestions on how to build my rig up from where it is, effectively cost/performance wise, I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Two Words

I've been asking around alot about suspension kits lately and it boils down to 2 words... Rubicon Express

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard good things about Rubicon Express, but BDS also has a lifetime replacement garuntee that I don't think lightly of. I plan on beating on it, so I don't want to be totally screwed if something breaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts