Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i had my sks-d apart fitting a new stock to it I figured it was time to show the gun a little bit of love. I upgraded to a fiber optic front post and ts200 rear sight, bedded the stock, polished the tigger and added a wollf spring kit. I had some stainless laying around and figured i would biuld a stainless piston and rod, while googling around for other modifications I came across a couple posts claiming that drilling extra holes in the gas tube and thus reducing drive pressure on the piston is allegedly suppose to help accuracy, what says OSR? any truth to this? if so whats the therory behind this mod?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I think you'll have larger issues with consistency in cartridges affecting accuracy more so than the amount of gas pressure driving the piston.

·
Registered
424 Posts
SKS's are accurate enough as is, biggest problem is ammo....think about it for a second...you buy cheap mass produced x39 to go blast with, not win paper matches.

You would also run the risk of losing reliability if you start messing with the gas flow....I understand their theory, but I don't see it as necessary.

If you want to squeeze a bit more, try playing with ammo to find a brand your gun likes. My SLR107 loves Yugo and Golden tiger, both give me sub-2" groups at 100. Switching to Tula or newer Wolf double that number.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
SKS's are accurate enough as is, biggest problem is ammo....think about it for a second...you buy cheap mass produced x39 to go blast with, not win paper matches.

You would also run the risk of losing reliability if you start messing with the gas flow....I understand their theory, but I don't see it as necessary.

If you want to squeeze a bit more, try playing with ammo to find a brand your gun likes. My SLR107 loves Yugo and Golden tiger, both give me sub-2" groups at 100. Switching to Tula or newer Wolf double that number.
Ever tried the $1/rd Winchester?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not alter the gas ports. I think you would set yourself up for reliability issues. Make it “pretty” or “tacticool” if you like, but leave the gas system alone (at least until you specifically know why you are altering it). One of the previous mentioned that you will gain more accuracy with a better grade of ammo. This is absolutely correct.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
I've got some of that, about 60 rounds worth.

I can't bring myself to run it through my AK because I know it will mangle the shit out of the brass.

Does it shoot that much better than wolf?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not through my SLR, but did way back when through an SAR-1...shot worse than the Wolf out of it..( granted we're talking 11 years ago...)

If you want "match grade" x39 ( yes, I know, oxymoron )...find some Lapua, that shit is phenomenal...but spendy and uncommon.

A buddy just bought a bunch of the Hornady, waiting to hear back on how it shoots out of his SLR....we're in a bind because the matches we shoot require ZERO steel content in the bullet ( chews up the reactive targets ) so all of the Russian ammo is out ( bi-metal jacket ). Right now, Yugo M67 is the best bet, but I've notice the supply starting to dwindle. I rocked some 10-15 y/o Wolf HP that didn't have any steel yesterday, but I haven't seen any non-magnetic Wolf in 6 or 7 years....

So my choices may come down to $1 a round Winchester, or $.70 a round Hornady....oh joy....and I wonder why I'm building another AR...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Does it shoot that much better than wolf?
No clue.

The commie shit runs well enough for me (I like Golden Tiger as it's sealed). My AK is my desert blasting and "Wolverines!" rifle.

I just always laugh at that stuff when I'm in Bass Pro or Sportsmans.

I shot some FGMM out of my Saiga and felt really dumb after two rounds. I didn't see any improvement (other than velocity) over steel Tula in the 308 platform.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your matches use shitty targets then, or they just don't realize that steel is a wear item and does need to be replaced every now and again.
We all know that....someday the directors may figure that out....steel core I fully understand, but the little bit in a bi-metal jacket ain't gonna do shit. But, gotta follow the rules if ya wanna play.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not expecting any thing great out of surplus ammo, i use that stuff for plinking. Ive been hoarding some brass cased SP ammo, dont even remember what make, for hunting purposes. My gun seems to like them, but decent ammo is hard to find up here. The hunting store brought in some wolf im gonna try have them looking for whinchester but they didnt think they could get any. Back to my original questions, Does regulating the gas drive pressure down to the minimium needed for reliable operation improve accuracy?

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
not expecting any thing great out of surplus ammo, i use that stuff for plinking. Ive been hoarding some brass cased SP ammo, dont even remember what make, for hunting purposes. My gun seems to like them, but decent ammo is hard to find up here. The hunting store brought in some wolf im gonna try have them looking for whinchester but they didnt think they could get any. Back to my original questions, Does regulating the gas drive pressure down to the minimium needed for reliable operation improve accuracy?
Wolf is decent stuff. It shoots just as accurately as the yugo ammo in my AK. I know they hae HP and there's some SP ammo as well. For sure I know you can get brown bear in SP, I shot some just to make sure my AK would feed anything I put in the mag.

I really don't thnk that you're going to see any accuracy increases by decreasing the gas flow. Either way you've still got a carrier that's going to move, it's a fixed mass and you need a certain amount of energy to cycle it.
It's not match rifle, there are probably other much more significant things that contribute to it having the accuracy of an SKS than the gas system.

You'd probably get much better results handloading rounds than tinkering with the gas sytem.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
you could always just pull your gas tube off, and remove the piston. See if is more accurate as a single-shot.

If it is, buy a second gas tube (incase your SKS might be collectible), and start drilling holes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you could always just pull your gas tube off, and remove the piston. See if is more accurate as a single-shot.

If it is, buy a second gas tube (incase your SKS might be collectible), and start drilling holes.
Ill try removing the rod next trip to the range, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the SKS, but could you fit a rotating sleeve over the extra gas vents? Have different size ports to control the amount of gas release, like on an FAL. Dial in the amount of gas to work the action without beating it up.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I'll Xwhatever the Golden Tiger. Use it in my VZ quite a bit. TulAmmo seems pretty accurate too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts