Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my links out of 2" OD .25" wall DOM tube. That is some strong shit but I want my lowers to be bulletproof. Obviously I don't want to get any bigger around than 2" OD so I was considering sleeving the insides of my lowers with 1.5" .25" wall DOM which would give me .5" thick lowers. Would I have to have these turned down and if so how much? Any other alternatives? Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
Why don't you use 2" solid 7075 ? I have thought about inserting the 1-1/2 in the 2" but it will be heavy as hell...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Simple for you, but I just woke up. After a sip of coffee, it all made sense.....

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
How long are your links going to be?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not always that simple. Tried sleeving some 2" DOM with 2.5"OD DOM-0.250" wall and it was a no go. There was interference by a quite a few thou. Ended up turning the 2" down a bit to get it to work. Been over a year since we did it, so I don't remeber the excat measurements anymore.
The same may be true with what he wants to do. Pretty sure that DOM can have a runout either way of around 7-8 thou. If one is bigger by that much (outside) and the other smaller by the same inside sleeve) it would work perfectly. If it is the other way, it may not go so smoothly.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tunedportcj5 said:
simple math... 2" .250 has a id of 1.5"
Yea, simple math but those that have sleeved links know that it's rarely ever that easy in the real world. I imagine I'll have to have the 1.5 stuff turned down at least a couple thou. I'm not that found of the solid stock either, plus I've already got the inserts for the 2in .25 wall shizzle for the 1.25in heims. I don't care how heavy it is, I much prefer strength over lightweight.

Mikel, not sure on the length just yet. I will have at least a 108" wheelbase though so fairly long.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Is the solid stock a lower grade steel? Wouldn't it be easier to have the ends of solid stock bored to accept the bungs for the heims - or for that matter easier to have it bored and threaded? Obviously the 1/2 diameter of empty space a sleeved rod would get you is not much of a weight savings - so is it the steel quality?

·
Hello Govna
2,877 Posts
redneckengineered said:
I'm building my links out of 2" OD .25" wall DOM tube. That is some strong shit but I want my lowers to be bulletproof. Obviously I don't want to get any bigger around than 2" OD so I was considering sleeving the insides of my lowers with 1.5" .25" wall DOM which would give me .5" thick lowers. Would I have to have these turned down and if so how much? Any other alternatives? Thanks

==================

i've done it. it's easier than it sounds. i had 1.5" .25 wall dom lowers and before i even finished the rig, decided they wouldn't be stout enough. picked up some 2" .25 wall dom and talked with a bunch of people. there was about .006 interference between the two pieces. .003 over on the od of the 1.5" and .003 smaller on the id of the 2". tried heating up the 2" to accept the 1.5 but a 10" length tester was tough. my lowers are about 40" long and that's just too much to try to do.
basically, the 1.5" had the johnny joint style ends already welded at both ends already. i cut the link about 7" down from one end. (one piece 7" and one 33") picked up a few of the flapper disc grinding wheels, 36 grit, and gently ground down all the way around the 7" piece first, to test. ground just past the bronzish color of the dom to bare metal and it slipped into the 2" piece with a little tapping of a mallet. it was like sliding into a virgin on prom night. :D much easier than i thought and everone was saying. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
tunedportcj5 said:
Why don't you use 2" solid 7075 ? I have thought about inserting the 1-1/2 in the 2" but it will be heavy as hell...
isnt tube stronger than solid in the directions of force that the links will be seeing? wheres the metal gurus when we need em.

·
Hello Govna
2,877 Posts
yes they're a little heavy but they're stout. plus, that weight is a bonus to have down that low. i figure :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
This exact sleeve topics was discussed in detail:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266852

Before you get all moist about how great these sleeved links would be, call around and see if you can get a similar grade of steel in 1/2" wall or solid stock, and think about the cost of your two sections of DOM per link, the cost of your time to coerce them together. The weight difference will be negligible and yield strength will be similar (solid vs. hollow with these wall thicknesses and diameters, assuming same material) but the cost and complexity of having the hollow core is high.

As noted in that other thread, press-fit concentric tubes are WAY stronger than the same tubes loaded separately or side-by-side, but concentric tubes are still weaker than the same thickness of monolithic DOM tube. You could plug-weld the sleeves together, but that induces stress risers...

In the real world, though, 1.5" OD quarter-thick DOM is gonna be strong enough for most abuse. If you break everything you drive, mebbe upgrade to 2.0" OD quarter-thick DOM. Sleeving the two together is going to be expensive for the raw stock, and a bit of work to join them, but if you really want megatonnage overkill, go with solid stock and save some money... money you can use for membership in the 'weight down low' tea and crumpets crowd. :flipoff2:

Randii

1 - 20 of 42 Posts