Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, I need to widen both sides of a ford high pinion 60. I have ordered a length of 2.125 od .120 wall dom to use for the sleeve (works out to $140 a foot for the two peices I have to use with 18 feet of "free" stuff left over)
I have a dana 61 dodge housing to use as a donor and the plan is to cut my ford long side off long enough to widen the short side 8 inches, then cut the dodge long side off to lengthen the ford long side 16 inches (8 inches wider plus the 8 inches of tube I used on the short side) giving me an axle 16 inches wider than stock.
Has anyone done this and have some pointers? Can the sleeve be forced in by the BFH method? if I heat the axle tube first? any suggestions on welding (plan to tack it on opposite sides then check for straight, then tack more then check more ect)

For those of you woundering WTF I need an 85 inch wms-wms measurement for I am building a copy of petersons usd, They widened the axle 2 inches a side for steering clearance and it still didn't turn. as the legal road width is 102 inches I figure on using all of it to give me steering clearance. (I plan to run the longfield cv setup front so 45 degrees of steering is possible)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
search the tech on bc4x4.com for the sleeving of a 60... he swapped side of the pumpkin.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice work, so the new question:
Yesterday i went for broke, amazed at how easy it was to cut the tubes with my cutoff wheel, slide the sleeves in nice easy fit (bit of hammering) start welding the thing up, stop to check for straightness. OH CRAP! Guess I should have checked the housing beforehand as the long side tube is crooked in the diff.
has anyone ever fixed this with a big jack and chain? Or do I send it in somewhere to have it done?

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
See pics below of my front......piece of cake! :D
I had a shop here in the San Diego area narrow my front D60 (M.I.T.) and the
way they did it was to cut 4.5" out of the long tube, sleeve it and weld it
back together. They've been doing it this way for years to 100's of axles and
it works fine.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
So what is the general consensus on how long the slugs/sleeves need to be? I have always used the 2xod rule on cages/tube work.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my case the decision on length was easy, I had to buy a 20 foot stick of dom as there Are no shops here that will cut a few feet off for you, so seeing as I had lots I ran the sleeve in untill it got stuck in the housing (I think with that tight a fit the axle tube must distort as it goes in the centersection as thats where it stuck on both sides)
I used 2.125od .120 wall dom cause thats what they had. I would have gone 1/4 wall if i could have found it but I have the short side welded completely now and no sign of bending there at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
used a search and found this old thread. I'm looking at this solution to widen a front ProRock 60 in stead of buying a whole new housing.

ANy word on how this solution has held up? Being I just want to add a couple inches to each tube, (the pumpkin offset is good) ...should I cut close to the housing and just add brand new tubes or cut near the knuckles and just add a couple inches and sleeve there?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I sleeve mine but I found not all axles have the same ID so I bought a thicker piece and spun it to size on the lathe.
As long as it is straight who cares how you got it straight if you don't have the tools just clamp some angle iron to the outside or use and exhaust expander to center the tube and weld it up. Maybe use an exhaust tube just just to help from blowing through when you weld it.

Front axles are way more forgiving, the u-joint is self centering. Hell on BJ axles you can get inserts to move the upper BJ to get ±3º of caster or camber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
possibly considering going this route or re-tubing my front ford d60. Has anyone had any issues after they sleeved there axle? I need to move the diff over 3" in order to work under my squarebody.

I'm also wanting to tilt my diff up a little more! Who has done that and how much more should I go with a 8" spring lift?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts