Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have you had, location of cuts, etc? Just curious on how they are holding up now that people have had them for a while.

I cut one this weekend that was ~11 months old. Two 2" gashes on the inside sidewall, did it spinning on some chert rock (similar to flint). 20 plugs to fill one hole, gave up on plugging the other but it was the same size.

·
Registered
539 Posts
OUCH!! :eek:

Were you at the quarry? Where did you slice the tire?

I got a pretty good slice on one of my boggers. About 5" long and can barely see the cords... from riding out there

Later,
David

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tunedportcj5 said:
OUCH!! :eek:

Were you at the quarry? Where did you slice the tire?

I got a pretty good slice on one of my boggers. About 5" long and can barely see the cords... from riding out there

Later,
David
Yes at the quarry. Playing to the right, at the bottom of the big hill climb

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I was courious as to why one of my Krawlers started loosing air after my bad tumble at the Farmington Finals and found out when I removed it's (early version) Allied beadlock rim.
The leak was due to debris being shoved underneath the bead seal but even worse, the sharp outer edge of the rim's ring seat had cut deeply into the rubber of the inside perimeter of the same area ... down to the steel belting!
I looks like Allied spotted this problem and my new 8 lug versions all have a nice lathe cut bevel on the outer edge of their ring seats now. But I thought I'd report that sharp bead lock rim edges can cut and seperate the Krawler's soft compound rubber.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
In my experience, the steel beadlock sharp edge thing only occurs when a ring has loosened up and there is considerable movement- I've been watching this as BFG asked me to.

I've sliced my sidewalls often, but only once though the cord, similar to my experience with many of the Swampers I've owned.

Disney OK is hell on tires, strangely enough, the one tire I sliced thru was at Farmington, laying on my side trying to save a roll at the money pit. It was about a 2" slice, I had it vulcanized and use it for my spare.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Jone's tires in Springdale, $35, 479 751-2082
Ken

·
Registered
875 Posts
A couple of my Krawlers have large(6") gashs the sidewalls.None have penetrated all the way through and they seem to hold up under heavey sidewall abuse even with the gashs.All the damage is from very clean, sharp edged local, granite.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Go2Guy said:
In my experience, the steel beadlock sharp edge thing only occurs when a ring has loosened up and there is considerable movement- I've been watching this as BFG asked me to.
I reckon endo-ing onto the edge of a rim hard enough to push slickrock rubble under a (tight) beadlock's ring would qualify as "considerable movement", Ken. :flipoff2:

So, if one does runs low pressure on rugged terrain it won't hurt to smooth over any sharp edges on your bead lock's ring seat if they came that way.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only 2 of us here and another I heard of by phone???

Guess we're just lucky :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
:confused: I had a stick put a hole in one of my krawers down at the hammers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts