Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to maximize the length of sliders I am having made. What are objective ways to determine the maximum length without interference with wheel well clearance or factors I am not cognizant of.

I need the rear end of the sliders (at least) just aft of the seam between cab and bed. This is for a rack I will be adding later. How do I know if that is too far back? This might pull the forward end of the slider too far aft. How do i determine if this is inadequate protection?

(04 Tacoma crew cab, toytecs and spring lifts, and will be adding larger, perhaps MUCH larger, tires when my 265-75-16s when they wear out. Not sure what suspension changes i will be doing but i would like to not have to redo the sliders whatever i choose)

Thanks in advance for the help,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cant think of anything that would limit how long they can be, other than tire clearance. Figure out how big you may eventually go and leave room? That or just chop the sliders for clearance later

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'm making mine go from tire to tire. No reason they can't be modified later. I plan on linking and chopping the rear of mine for a shorter wheel base hopefully in a year or two. This in no way impacts my decision to build them tire to tire. They're rock sliders, it's not difficult to cut and modify after the fact imo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses and the jokes.

So i can give my tire 1/8" clearance and that will be ok? no.
should it be abeam of the wheel well flare? Is that a safe bet? With so many folks trimming or hammering bodywork near the wheel well My guess is I should not be that close. That does make life easy if that is what you advise. I really do not want to redo projects, so trimming at a later date is not ideal nor is trimming immediately after addicted fabs it for me. (yes, i am a slacker and i could have welded it myself but I have intended to do so for 2 years and never got around to it. so i outsourced it).

If addicted makes it at 78" and I need to move it back I loose coverage in the front. How much is too much? If you start the slider too far back you can get caught up on it, right?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Holy fuck dude, build the fucker from the back of your front wheel well, to the front of your back wheel well. Quit being a fucking flake, and prepare yourself to cut the piece of shit shorter when you do the rear end....Jesus Christ, if you're such a god damn slacker, what makes you think you'll get to doing the fuckin rear in a timely matter any fucking way.................:flipoff2::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
instead of moving it forward or back, just move it up if it is causing tire problems. Hell, move up to the middle of the door and at the top of the fenders and just cut off everything below it. bonus points for using a dozen cutting boards to cover between the slider and frame rail

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Stop overthinking this. It's rocker science not rocket science.

Why don't you just trust Addictids decision on placement? I'm sure he has built a set or two in the span of his career.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts