Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck in sig, kinda heavy 7300lbs
I need sliders and was thinking 2x4x.25 thick. Is this way over kill will 2x3 x .120 wall be enough?
They will be welded to the frame with bracing and need to support the weight of the truck.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'd just go .188 wall if you are worried about it, .250 wall will be pretty heavy.
I wouldn't be afraid of .120 wall if you throw enough supports in there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My .120 2x4 sliders are dented, and that's on a 3k pound Suzuki. They are otherwise still straight, but 7,300 lbs is a hell of a lot more. I'd say at least .188 if you are really going to use them

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The rockers/sliders on my Toyota are 2x6x.25 and have take some hard hits with little to no damage at all. I ran .120 wall on a 5000lb Explorer and they held up fine, but for as much weight as you have I wouldn't skimp on material. Besides with a rig that heavy what's a few more pounds. :flipoff2:

·
Horsepower Junkie
798 Posts
My rig will be pretty heavey as well but I went ahead and used. 120 wall. If I have problens with it denting bad I was just going to re-skin the bottom with more 1/8 inch plate.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
2x4-.250 wall is almost 9 lbs per ft. Total overkill. Sliders are meant to get beaten on, and I consider them an expendable item, dents over time are acceptable. that's my logic for designing them bolt-on/replaceable.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
We build all sliders out of .250 wall. Whether they're going on a Samurai ,an 80 series or a full size Chevytruck. Build them sturdy the first time. .120 will be waffled in no time. You may be able to get away with .188 but at 7300 lbs the extra weight of .250 isn't going to kill you.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We build all sliders out of .250 wall. Whether they're going on a Samurai ,an 80 series or a full size Chevytruck. Build them sturdy the first time. .120 will be waffled in no time. You may be able to get away with .188 but at 7300 lbs the extra weight of .250 isn't going to kill you.
Thanks for the info, even at 9lbs a ft it won't make much overall difference. Will 2in DOM be enough for the supports or should I use the same 2x4 with a fish plate on the frame rails?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts