Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK finally got there with getting some slotted bushes made up. Just got them today and they look very good.

Now we dont know if the slots are to big or if they will delaminate or how they perform on or off road but they look as though they will flex heaps without destroying themselves :D

So need to just throw them in the silver rangie and do some miles and see how they feel.

We can play around with a few different things. The easiest being the rubber durometer (stiffness). We can also easily make the slots smaller (by machining down the dies). To make the slots bigger we have to make new dies (they are CNCed so this is easy also)

Or we can just make some more and send them to some of you monkeys who stuffed their perfectly good bushes by drilling holes in them and see how they go :flipoff2:

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
flex shot :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first shot is of the early style (read better) bushes that are narrower. The flex shot is of the late style bushes and the dies are a bit further appart and so have a solid piece in the middle (about 1/4in thick) We drilled a hole in the middle part (like the good old days) to see if it made any difference and it didnt seem to.

Close up.

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Sam

Are you selling them yet then?

I am interested in a few sets could you PM me or email me with a price and cost of shipping to the UK.

GON2FAR

Its always good to see an idea like this coming together.

Nigel

·
Registered
31 Posts
This may have been addressed, but... Question, will the slots in the bushings increase the amount axle wrap on the front axle? Will hard acceleration or braking cause any problems? I imagine that these are suitable for daily drivers considering the number of DDs that have drilled bushings. I can see how the slots in the bushings will significantly increase the movement of the radius arm without destroying the rubber. Once these are perfected I am definitely in for a set.

Collin

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Strange Rover said:

Or we can just make some more and send them to some of you monkeys who stuffed their perfectly good bushes by drilling holes in them and see how they go :flipoff2:

Sam
I am up for being a tester. No liability concerns here. Let me know how you want to handle it. Email with details. I would be happy to even keep a log and actually start driving it on the commute / around town for ya.

Course I would have to take off the stilts and put the coils back on......
:flipoff2:

j

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same here! I was thinking that you should have three people test them. RedRangie can test them on the old RR, I can test them on the Disco, and we would need a monkey for the D90. Email me, i just drilled my original triple shelled bushings last week and they have definitely helped the front end, but like Red Rangie said earlier, they are a little noisy.

Brad

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hey Sam, I'm in for a couple a pair.

One thing I have been thinking is maybe you could do a version where one of the slots is slightly narrower and the other side is the size that you have done already.

I notice that on the Serious One I have lost almost a half-inch from the rubber constantly compressing the open hole.

I think that this will be a long refining process. Finding the proper durometer (or even offering the bushes in different durometers), proper slot size, assymetrical slot sizes to account for assymetrical loading (there, I've used that phrase honestly now), etc...

It's awesome that you are actually seeing this through.

I would like to run a set on the Serious One and also on my DD LWB RR. I'd also like to run a set of non-drilled ones on one of the radius arms in the CrewCab and leave the other side stock (just to see how your formula of poly compares to the stock rubber bushes that are in there now).

Again, totally awesome. Let's keep up the momentum!

·
Registered
986 Posts
If there's any way you could arrange to have a set shipped to Sweden, I'd be more than happy.

I'm just about to drill a perfectly new set of metalastics, but I'd rather get the real deal. It's for a Defender 110 2001, so I believe it's the wider variety I need.

Please mail me so we can arrange payment etc if this is at all possible.

Thanks,

Christer Wilsby

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hope you are ready to swing straight into mass production with these things Sam Cause its looking like you will need to:D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Sam, count me in for a set for my DII. As luck would have it, I'm picking up an extra set of radius arms next week to be lengthened. I could then put in your bushings and can compare them to my drilled ones. Get to pourin' man!:D

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill see if I carnt get the bushes into something for some testing this weekend and if all goes well ill get a run of them happening ASAP and then go from there.

Sam

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whats the expected price?

In all honestly I have no idea. I dont think they will cost very much to get made (everything is relative here) but a lot of things have to be done before they are sold on an open market.

Not really looking at selling them at this point but we do need to get some sets out and about to see how they go.

Sam

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Serious One,

Check your PMs.

Sam

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the new bushes into the rangie (buisness partners rangie) over the weekend and they perform really well. Heaps of flex, they didnt cut themselves or delaminate. On road they are the best yet. Really good steering control and the rig doesent change line under brakes when cornering (I think this is the first sign when the bushes are stuffed)

So so far so good. Will see how soon i can get some of these things made and we will go from there.

Heres some pics.

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
other angle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts