Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '91 C3500 ext cab dualey, 454, etc. Has anyone swapped out a SM465 for a NV4500? I'm curious as to what bell housing to use. I don't believe the original will work. Can anyone help? :confused:

Curtis M.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Weatherman said:
WOW, I've never seen so much love in one place:flipoff2:
Sorry Curtis, looks like everybody thinks you're a biatch:flipoff2:

Try posting in the Chev or Gen 4x4 forums;)

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Weatherman said:
I did, they were just as helpful:mad: NOT:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Are you coming back up here before TDS? If not, see you there:D
Say hi to Rose!!
Don't know if we'll make it up, but lookin foward to seeing everyone at TDS:D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Weatherman said:
I just picked up a '91 C3500 ext cab dualey, 454, etc. Has anyone swapped out a SM465 for a NV4500? I'm curious as to what bell housing to use. I don't believe the original will work. Can anyone help? :confused:

Curtis M.
If it's a 2wd why not just put a GV or some other OD behind the trans? That would let you split gear in every hole. Then you'd have 8 forward gears instead of 5 in the NV4500. The 4500 is still a wide range box, for towing the narrow jump would be better. YMMV. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: SM 465 to NV 4500

70~K5 said:

If it's a 2wd why not just put a GV or some other OD behind the trans? That would let you split gear in every hole. Then you'd have 8 forward gears instead of 5 in the NV4500. The 4500 is still a wide range box, for towing the narrow jump would be better. YMMV. :D
Interesting idea, can you elaborate further? GV?? Any suggestions on a goo OD device?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Re: Re: SM 465 to NV 4500

70~K5 said:

GV will NOT let you split every gear, there is a minimum RPM at which it will engage the OD (or UD, depending on the unit). Generally ~30 mph.

US Gear units will split all the gears, and stay engaged at a dead stop. You can also use an exhaust brake with them, unlike the GV unit.

And why not take this approach with a 4x4?

Pete

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: Re: Re: SM 465 to NV 4500

pcorssmit said:

GV will NOT let you split every gear, there is a minimum RPM at which it will engage the OD (or UD, depending on the unit). Generally ~30 mph.

US Gear units will split all the gears, and stay engaged at a dead stop. You can also use an exhaust brake with them, unlike the GV unit.

And why not take this approach with a 4x4?

Pete
I did just that with my CJ2A 327/M22/18 w/ warn od. But to work in 4x4 the od has to be where it'll work in both 2x4 and 4x4. If you really want trick put a Branabob(sic) brownie in there 4 speeds and air shifted it's made from the back half of a spicer 4 by 4 married unit truck trans. In my other post I said GV cause that's what came to mind first. :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I know either GV or US goes between the trans and t-case, forget which, though; the other one bolts to the back of the t-case (2wd use only). Personally, in a tow rig I don't think it would be that big of a deal to not be able to split gears in OD.

Got any info/links on the Branabob units? Sounds cool. How well do you think the whole 4x4 married unit would work in a pickup (w/a divorced transfer). Would it be a PITA to shirt that big of a trans in a daily driver?

Pete

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
pcorssmit said:

Got any info/links on the Branabob units? Sounds cool. How well do you think the whole 4x4 married unit would work in a pickup (w/a divorced transfer). Would it be a PITA to shirt that big of a trans in a daily driver?

Pete
Those units are huge. But you can still find aome smaller "brownies" that are about the same size as a 4 spd truck trans and they mount like a divorced TC. So with a short drive shaft between each it wouldn't be real bad in a extra cab or crew cab long bed PU. But you'd have one stick for each unit. I've driven trucks with a 4x4, 5x4, and 6x4 trans. They take a little gettin' use to, but not bad after that. The newwer single stick air shifted trans has done away with them for the most part now that they have fullers that will handle 2000 lbs of torque. Till then the 2 stick jobs were for bigger engine that a fuller wouldn't live behind. For those who don't know, you drive a 2 stick trans like this. Start with the main box in say low, brownie in 1st. shift the bronwie thru all it's gears. Then shift the main up 1 gear and the brownie back to 2nd and run thru the brownie again. Shift the main bow up 1 gear and start over with the brownie. Of course when you're used to what you have you can skip gears to depending on the situation. If you do a search on P4x4 there have been some post about the branbob, just try diferent speeling as I don't remember how its spelled for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Wow, you guys are way off on spelling. :eek:
I'm guessing you are referencing the Brabnod Mountain Gearbox, right?

I'm not aware whether these folks have ever truly got past the prototype stage and spooled up into production... the last web address I have for them is this: http://www.gj.net/brabnods/ ...but it has no specifics.

IIRC, they were based out of Colorado -- if anyone wants the straight poop, some calls to Advanced Off-Road Research, Avalanche, or Poison Spyder might help run this to ground...

Randii

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
OK, I do remember the Brabnob, I guess (due to not recognizing the speeiling) I was thinking this was something different. IIRC, it was a custom housing using Spicer gears, and air shifted. Looked to be a cool unit, but was around $3500? BTW, the web page linked to above consists of a white page that says: "Brabnod Mountain Gear Custom Built Four Wheel Drive Specialties", and is otherwise blank.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.