Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this should be an easy one.... I'm assuming the ~1/8" dia. hole in the sleeve is for a plug weld. I've read numerous writeups on this conversion & not one of them mention this. Has anyone had to file their adaptor plates to get the bearing to fit?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm not sure what hole you're talking about? www.extremebends.com has a great writeup of the "mating process..."...hehe...The bearing should be a snug fit in the plate, and ought to require a tapping together with your favorite leather/brass/other soft hammer...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A hole in the sleeve? Some bearing retainers have a hole for any excess gear lube to leak into the TO bearing, but not any sm420s I have seen. A plug weld would be over kill. Friction, solder or a little JB weld should be enough to hold the sleeve on the bearing retainer.

Some after market bearing retainer snap rings are oversize and don't fit into the recess in the adaptor plate. Just use the right size snap ring. No filing is necessary.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Bearing retainer snap rings: yep, I've had that happen using rebuild kit snap rings. I end up reusing the ones in the tranny a lot for that reason...I think I get the plug weld thing now. I just tacked it to the nosecone, one tack on each side...

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The t/o bearing sleeve is a Wardens' & has a hole halfway in the middle. I guess I'll leave it alone since it was as snug fit anyway.

Snap ring :mad: Damn, I knew that was there for some reason! The bearing in the plate adaptor isn't going anywhere so do I really need it? I had to file the sh_t out of the plate to get that bearing in there :mad:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
As noted the hole can be to let gear lube drain before it hits your clutch. Not all 420's have a nosecone input shaft seal. Some have just a slinger in there to send the gear lube back inside. Put the hole pointed down:)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine's a '67 because of the reverse switch light thingy on the top plate. I'll pound the hole downward. Thanks for you guyzez help!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
LC Hamma said:
The t/o bearing sleeve is a Wardens' & has a hole halfway in the middle. I guess I'll leave it alone since it was as snug fit anyway.

Snap ring :mad: Damn, I knew that was there for some reason! The bearing in the plate adaptor isn't going anywhere so do I really need it? I had to file the sh_t out of the plate to get that bearing in there :mad:
If I were you I would check the fit of the TO bearing over the end of the shaft before you put it in.

Mine needed a LOT of sanding down before the TO bearing would slide over it.

Also, you will need an indexing ring to mate the SM to the LC bellhousing if you don't already have one..

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hey Chuck,
Was that one of my plates? It is an interference fit, requiring at minimum heating the plate and tapping the bearing in. My favorite way to heat it, is in a large metal drain pan with a couple of inches of water, sitting on my 2 burner camp stove. Since it going to be hot, I thread one of the tcase bolts into the plate to use as a handle. DO NOT use a torch to heat the aluminum plates, uniform and moderated heat (boiling water) is much better.

I have also encountered a snug fit of the inner race on the output shaft. Make sure you have installed the gasket before you fit the plate with bearing in place. A 6" piece of 1.5" tubing makes a nice bearing installer.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
LC Hamma said:

You don't need the retainer ring on the bearing that goes into the plate. Like you said, it isn't going any where. The retainer snap ring on the output bearing of the sm420 is often a problem in getting the plate to seat on the back end of the tranny. You need this ring so that the bearing/shaft doesn't slide further into the tranny case.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I already test fit that on there ;) I did buy one of those rings from Mike, along with his adaptor. I was amazed at how much those rings stretched when you heated them up :eek: It was waaay huge when I slid it over the retainer, then it cooled & was tight again. Yes, I'm easily entertained :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was that one of my plates? It is an interference fit, requiring at minimum heating the plate and tapping the bearing in.
Yes, it was. I finally set some time aside to get it done :rolleyes: That NL bearing was binding if I didn't file it down. Do you think you could rotate/index your plate a little more so grinding can be at a minimum? Just a suggestion...;)

The retainer snap ring on the output bearing of the sm420 is often a problem in getting the plate to seat on the back end of the tranny. You need this ring so that the bearing/shaft doesn't slide further into the tranny case.
I didn't have a problem at all seating the tcase & plate. I'll run it as is & if it :nuke: I'll just put back on the AA kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts