Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever done this? If you did, I'd like details on what you did for a rear motor/transmission mount-crossmember...Alan in tornadoalley

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Aln one of the guys in LSLC has done the 465 conversion in his, goes by reorx on here................should be the same I would think.......PM him if you don't reach him let me know and I'll hook you 2 up.
Just re read you question, I'm almost sure he used AA to hook to his split case so he probably used the mount on the adapter.
Looks as if it would be faily simple to use the 3 spd bell housing and fab factory style mounts to hook it up off the bellhousing.
I have an AA sm420 adapter to 3 spd case with the built in pad for a mount............
:D :D
Butch

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah...2F

Guess I should specify keeping the 2F instead of letting everyone assume one wya or da other...Chef

·
Registered
410 Posts
Butch is right.... I have a SM465 hooked to a split case with the AA adapter. I'll post some pics of the install later tonight if you want to see how I built the crossmember.

When I was going to use a SM420+3spd case, I got a lot of advice on this board that it would not be ideal for a truck as heavy as a 60. If you were really interested in a SM420, I'd go with a NP205 and just run the rear driveshaft at an angle (Its not that big a deal given the length of the stock drivetrain). In my new setup, the driveshafts are within 10" of each other in length. I wouldn't trade it for anything! :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why not an H41 mated to your stock drivetrain? If you have an older FJ60 it's a direct bolt-in - no other changes required. Add 4.11s from '74-'78 FJ** - again, direct bolt-in.

If you have a newer FJ60 the H55f is a direct bolt-in, add 4.11s from FJ62.

4.925:1 (1st)

2.276:1 (Low)

4.111:1 (Differential)

Final ratio = 46.1:1

I don't remember off-hand the 1st gear ratio of the SM465, much lower than 4.925?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coupla things...first I do have an "early short box" h41 coming, and it is indeed a direct bolt in. Second, I'm not sure about the 2.26 transfer ratio in the split case. I've heard rumors the one behind the a440 auto had that ratio, but the one I spun myself last week only went 1.96...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts