Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished cleaning up this SM420 trans and noticed that the input shaft (not sure this is the correct ID of this part) is cracked at the base.

so what is the actual name of the pictured part?

what are some sources either on or off-line to find a replacement for this?

this is from a '67 Chevy C30 (i believe)

thanks for the help :D

here's the trans:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here's the problem:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That there thang is a bearing retainer. Just get another one from the junkyard, but make sure it is the one that has the seal in it. Before about 1958, they didn't have the seal. You could also grind out the crack and braze it up, but that would be more work.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back from NAPA...the dude laughed....................he was like no way you will find that unless it's used :rolleyes:

anyway....anybody on the board have one they'd like to part with?

i guess i'll try some local trans shops and see if they have anything used.

so is grinding it out, welding it, and re-grinding it smooth and option?

more suggestions?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Try here

Call John at Border, he'll have everything you need! Last time I was there he had about 1,000 SM420 in the back. He should have everything new...

BORDER PARTS
Drive Train Components
3875 Bancroft Drive
Spring Valley, CA 92077
619-461-0171
800-533-0171

An EXCELLENT source for hard-to-find gears, bearings, transmission & transfer case parts.

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
Re: Try here

Neps said:
Call John at Border, he'll have everything you need! Last time I was there he had about 1,000 SM420 in the back. He should have everything new...

BORDER PARTS
Drive Train Components
3875 Bancroft Drive
Spring Valley, CA 92077
619-461-0171
800-533-0171

An EXCELLENT source for hard-to-find gears, bearings, transmission & transfer case parts.

You beat me to it. :flipoff2: I bet John has some sitting on the
shelf. He will ship also.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm writing John's # down now.....

hey nichols..........i'll take yours since you are local.

i can send a UPS pick up for it. PM me w/ how much and an adress.

I need to get this asap...trying to drop the motor and trans in soon. this was a stupid snag, but glad i caught it now.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i have a 420 you can have free if you pay shipping. no stick and ive never been in the thing. got it for a rig i no longer own

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 BIG THUMBS UP :flipoff2: (well not exactly thumbs :D )

got a part on the way from Nichols.........very cool, thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just wanted to post a follow up on this.

i got the front bearing retainer....here is a shot of the 2 compared which illustrates the 2 types of reatiners. the left one is my original WITH the seal....the right one is the replacement i got WITHOUT the seal.

the right one also has a weep hole in it.

i will probably keep looking for a SEALED retainer.....the thought of gear oil in my new clutch is a little frightning.

seems like on steep nose down stuff oil would run through the open bearing :confused:

right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes you were right...............and i did finally call him this morning................ and i do have the right part on the way.

i just wanted to post back w/ the comparison pic......in case people wanted a conclusion when they "search"

thanks for the # it's sitting safely in my rolodex :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nah.........we're cool. I understood what you were sending me, but after more consideration, I just decided not to use what i got from you.

if you want it back, i'm cool w/ that too.

After looking at the 2 retainers and the front bearing and thinking about it more, i was kinda woried about steep nose down stuff and gear oil contaminating my new Centerforce clutch.

it was a judgemant call......................and i still really appreciate your effort and generosity on this.

thanks again
matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.