Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just rebuilt one of my SM420s and bolted it up to my ToyBox. The top shifter cover for this trannie is a bit rusty. The top cover for my other (older) SM420 looks better except the shift forks are a bit more worn and the interlock plate is plastic. I would like to take the rusty cover apart and clean it up, but I don't know how to get the tapered pins out of the 3rd/4th gear shifter fork, 1st/2nd gear shifter fork or the rev shifter head. Anyone done this before?

Here are a couple pics of the older cover!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wngrog said:
Sean,

Bolt it up and drive it. DAMN you are an anal fawker! Are you EVERY going to finish :flipoff2:

Pop the cover and soak it in ATF for a couple of days and all that crap will be gone!
Yea, hope to have the tub on in a week or so!!:flipoff2: Maybe make CM02, or Marlin Crawler Roundup/Rubithon, or maybe BHCC!! Maybe I'll even head down to Tejas this spring and wheel with some rednecks I know down there!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Was hoping to join you guys in 2 wks in Las Cruces (to ride shotgun with someone), but need to adminster some TLC to my TLC!!:D

Stoopid Q, what is ATF?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wngrog said:
Automatic Trans Fluid.....that shit will take off ANYTHING!

Use that or Whaltey Fluid which is equal parts diesel, mineral spirits, acetone, and ATF.

For you Navy guys, that's 1:1:1:1
Doh!! I like the smell too! <G> Hehe, maybe I'll try some whatley fluid. Can I drink that shiat when I'm done!!:D

Oh, here's a 1:1 for you Army guys :flipoff2:

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
mine loked 10x worse than that. knock off some of the chunks and run it.

change the oil after a few runs and it will be fine.

you can't hurt a sm420 with lose little pieces of gunk.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
camo said:
mine loked 10x worse than that. knock off some of the chunks and run it.
Yea, I'm not really worried about any of the gunk. I just like the shift forks on the other cover better and want to use that one, but its so rusted up!!

Thx

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Shoot a pm to Pin Head, that guy is the 420 master;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mustard Dog said:
Shoot a pm to Pin Head, that guy is the 420 master;)
Yea, I plan on calling him today/tomorrow!!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Remember that there is a switch in top covers for the SM420. I have never been able to find out when the shift actually was. if you get a tops mized up you will always have problems with Sticking in third gear..

Put it on and run the fawker..

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason M said:
Remember that there is a switch in top covers for the SM420. I have never been able to find out when the shift actually was.
Yea, I've heard that, but I can't tell the diff looking at them, they look identical, except for the plastic interlock on the older cover!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts