Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting - almost patiently (2+ ft of snow this weekend - so far has help!!:flipoff2: ) - for the shims for my idler cluster to come in from the Toyota dealership, I messed around with the top covers. I wanted to disassemble them and combine some parts. The shift forks on the older SM420 were in better shape than the newer SM420, but the shift plate in the older tranny is plastic, while the newer is steel. Once I got them apart - dremeled the pins on the shafts and drove them out with the same dia. screwdriver, I was glad I decided to tear them apart! That old shift plate is definitely worn!!! Not sure if would make it difference in shifting, but...

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
be careful when mix and matching the sm420s. My first sm420 was the newer trans but had the older top and would pop out of 2nd everytime. Finally found an older sm420 with the correct top and works fine...also for anyone that has a older SM420 that does not have the front seal contact TheLakeRat. He found a way to put a seal on in and now it doesnt leak.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TxCruzr said:
be careful when mix and matching the sm420s. My first sm420 was the newer trans but had the older top and would pop out of 2nd everytime. Finally found an older sm420 with the correct top and works fine...
All I did was use the older shift forks in the top cover for the SM420 that I'm using. The are identical to the newer as far as aI can tell. I measured from every angle possible!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts