Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need someone to check my sanity. I bought a 97' TJ 2 years ago with every intention of ripping out everything Jeep and replacing it with the setup out of my Cab truck. I have a built Chevy 350, SM465, and NP205. I bought the V8 conversion from Advance Adapters (way over priced) with hopes that everything was going to be a simple swap. I started to drop in the powertrain this past weekend and ran into a clearance problem right away. The motor mounts have alignment pins to make it dummy proof when mounting them to the frame. I put them in place and C-clamped them down. I took the powertrain and started to drop it into place. I put a floor jack under the T-case to help walk it back while aligned the motor onto the motor mounts. That's when I noticed the shifter housing starting to hit the tub before I was even close to having the powertrain in the final position. Being that I'm gonna be using this Jeep for crawlin mainly, I want the vitals tucked up as high as possible. It looks as if the shifter would be coming through right where the firewall and tub are joined together. I'm looking for help from anyone who is currently running this setup in their TJ. I'm trying to get this Jeep ready by end of July for Milledgeville, GA.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I would have to cut the tub, but the shifter is so close to the firewall, I don't think I will be able to shift into my upward gears even with the shifter bent.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pictures. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 4.0 a longer block than a Chevy 350? The Jeep came stock with the 4.0 and it looked a lot longer from what I remember when I pulled it out.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I had a SM420 behind a 2.5L. ...had to make a crazy bend in the shifter handle to make it fit - similar to what is shown above. The shift tower was very close to the firewall. You can always push your motor back to make it work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might have been able to if I made my own mounts, but in order to keep the angle of the engine from being to steep the mounts had to be placed in Advanced Adapters recommended location. Somebody has to have done this combination. If you know of anyone that can help please let me know.

·
Registered
726 Posts
looks like your gonna have to lift the engine up with sum spacers or get a 1 inch body lift!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was afraid I would have to put a body lift on. I already have one at the house for it, but it's a 2". I thought about cutting the pucks in half, that way I still keep my body's CG as low as possible. I'm not giving up on this combo yet, but I have a TH350/205 setup on standby.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interested in seeing how this turns out. I am putting a Gen3 v8 and SM465 into my TJ.

Initial measurements (assuming I get the back of the motor close to the stock 4.0L location) put the shift tower about 7" further forward than stock. I am hoping that pushing the motor as far back as possible will shorten that distance a bit but it's going to be tight. I do have a 1" body lift installed already so that will help somewhat.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping that someone has already done this swap and has the answer I'm looking for. I could probably get away with hacking up the tub, but I'm trying to keep the interior looking nice.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I havent done the SM465, but I do have a 4l80E in mine, and that thing is a friggin pig. You will have to put a body lift on it, and 2" sounds perfect, I went 1.25" on mine and still had to cut the dog house. As far as the length and the mount placement (btw I used them also, and thought the price was great for what you get) You dont HAVE to place the motor there if you have room to move back more, which I doubt because my 6.0 is maybe an inch from the firewall using their placement (another reason for cutting the dog house). I would throw the body lift on, she if it fits in, and go from there. If you dont like it, then bend up a shifter to fit it.

Also, just so you are prepared, when you put the bolts into the motor mounts, get the passenger side in, then go to the driver side and unbolt the bolts some from the block, then align the mount bolt and put it in. After that, you can then retighten the block bolts. It will save you a ton of cussing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like the body lift is going to be my next attempt. I'll play with it this weekend if I get time and let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just got my LS1/SM465/Atlas running in my TJ 2 days ago. My SM465 sticks up almost exactly where AlxJ64 pictures show, maybe 2" more forward but I built a flat dash at the same time so the shifter wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have thought about tearing out the dash and building a custon one, but I really want to keep the interior clean looking. I take a lot of pride in my work and feel if I rip the dash out, I'm selling myself short. I have a feeling that after the body lift is installed, and the shifter is bent, I may be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Thats the reason I pulled the SM465 out of my CJ and replaced with a TH350. The SM465 hangs about 2.5-3" lower (compared to the output shaft), so everything had to mounted up 3" higher, which necessitated cutting out the floor.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for cutting the floor, I don't have a problem with cutting the tranny tunnel, as long as I can fab up a shifter boot to cover the hole. I have checked with my local tranny shop and it's gonna run me $750 plus the cost of a new torque converter to rebuild the TH350 with a manual valve body. I hate seeing all these SM465 sitting around my shop and not being used. Also, 4 0f the 5 NP205s are set up for the SM465.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 4b cummins to a sm465 to a dana 300 in a yj had to move motor way back. The shifter housing comes out the factory hole but at the very front. I have a 2" body lift and the belly is almost flat.

·
Registered
755 Posts
As for cutting the floor, I don't have a problem with cutting the tranny tunnel, as long as I can fab up a shifter boot to cover the hole. I have checked with my local tranny shop and it's gonna run me $750 plus the cost of a new torque converter to rebuild the TH350 with a manual valve body. I hate seeing all these SM465 sitting around my shop and not being used. Also, 4 0f the 5 NP205s are set up for the SM465.

I would love to go with the sm465 I have because of the crawl ratio, but I already bought the atlas and adapter and vss ring for the 4l80e so I am stuk with it.

The Ratio

4l80E + Atlas 5.0 = 66.71 to 1

SM465 + Atlas 5.0 = 176.46 to 1

I just dont know if getting all the adpaters to run it with my 6.0 and the adapters to run my atlas would be worth the hassel, and the fact that I would give up my auto....

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about selling all my SM465's and NP205's and going with a TH400 and an Atlas. That way I get the gearing I want and my wife can still play with it also. I perfer to have an automatic over a standard when it comes to crawlin to tell you the truth.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts