Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know this has been asked many times but NOT with my setup so dont flame me just yet.

I have a potent little 355 sbc with a 671 blower on top running dual 650 DP carbs... combo make about 600hp.

Ive decided to switch my 85 reg cab short box bogger over to a standard SM465 trans with a np205 t case. Should be able to handle the power.

The hurdle i'm having is figuring out what clutch to run with this much power.

Already bought a scatter shield (bellhousing just wont do) and a performance 14" flywheel.

Now i havent figured out whether to go manual clutch (which i have everything for) or swap to the hydraulic setup. Either way i would prefer to have a diaphram clutch is possible.

Any info or suggestions would be great.

Gordon
Alberta, Canada :confused:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
the 465 is a kinda crappy trans for situations where you need to shift fast, such as in mud/snow.

with that said, centerforce would be my choice, and go hydraulic. the last thing you want to have happen is a engine scattering because you cant disengage the clutch. the factory manual linkage sucks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a 383 stroker in my jeep with 550 h/p and 11:1 compression. I have been running an SM465 with a Centerforce dual friction clutch with an aluminum flywheel.I had no issues at all. The 465 is slow a shifting truck tranny with a long throw but, it did very well with zero problems. I just changed out to an auto. I actually have my 465 with the 208 and the Centerforce for sale right now in the for sale section.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know shes a slow shifter but i really hate automatics lol.

As far as scattering the engine i run a msd boost control box as well as a 6al with a 5500rpm chip so it shouldn't blow up hopefully.

Any idea who sells the kit to go hydraulic?

·
blatant asshole
11,843 Posts
just get the stock gm stuff. its all available new with exception of the pedal assembly and since you need to buy one any how you might as well get the hydro setup. i bought mine off ebay for $175 shipped.

this does sound like a prime setup to run the centerforce clutch. the c/f are designed to gain there holding power at the higher rpm, which is where you will be making your power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts