Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an sm465 from a 70's chevy 3/4 ton that I would like to use in my 89 3/4 ton with a SM465. The 89 grinds between gears and I dont want to replace the syncros if I can just swap out the trannies.

The old T-case is a 203 converted to part time 4x4. The new t-case is the factory for an 89 chevy 3/4 ton. I think it is a 208 but am not sure. I have not looked at it in a while.

I hope I can just swap the old tranny in for the new and hook it up to the new t-case. Something tells me nothing is ever that easy.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the old one will have a 10 spline course output and the newer one will have a 32 fine spline output.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ive got the same problem in an 87 model truck, i just grenaded the 208, and i went to put a 10 spline 205 in it, and of course it wouldnt work, how hard is it to change the output on that tranny to a 10 spline, i can get an old 10 spline easily, and my newer tranny shifts real good, is there any way to still use it with that 10 spline 205? thanks..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, I have asked the same question on several other 4x4 boards and never gotten a clear response. Glad I found this place.

Jay

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
the 10spline 203 is valuable
grab that for sure

most 10 spline mainshafts are in bad shape, but i think you can buy them new

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
03flatbed said:
ive got the same problem in an 87 model truck, i just grenaded the 208, and i went to put a 10 spline 205 in it, and of course it wouldnt work, how hard is it to change the output on that tranny to a 10 spline, i can get an old 10 spline easily, and my newer tranny shifts real good, is there any way to still use it with that 10 spline 205? thanks..
you can either change the main shaft on the tranny or you can change the input shaft on the t-case to 32 spline ford input. I think this requires a small bit of machining for a larger input bearing, nothing major.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Or find a 205 that had a TH400 in front of it. You can get the input shaft from ORD.

It sounds like you two need to get together and do a little trade for the right parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts