Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent or occasional problem with my SM465. If I shift too fast or maybe too sloppy it will sometimes bind up the shift lever and be stuck in that gear. It is usually 3rd gear. I then have to pull up the boot, remove the shift lever retaining piece and pull out the shift lever.
This video is not me or my tranny, but it is the same problem I have.

I know how to get it unstuck, what I want to know is how to fix it so it doesn't happen. My shift lever seems fine and tight, not loose like others I've seen. Why does this happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what I had planned, but a friend who used to rebuild transmissions for a living said that the normal rebuild parts wouldn't fix that. He also didn't know what causes the issue, so maybe he wasn't the greatest rebuilder.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Weld the loose piece on the shifter ball. It's a common problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weld the loose piece on the shifter ball. It's a common problem.
The shifter ball and the collar below it are both tight with no play. The collar has already been welded. I don't recall if I did it years ago or it was done before I got it. The piece on the end that engages with the slots is loose and moves about 1/4" back and forth. Should that be tight or at least tighter? Here is a vid of my shifter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull the tip out and put a fat oring on it.
Well I pulled the tip out and found this:

I tried a couple orings I had on hand, but they aren't fat enough. It's just as loose as before.

Does anyone know where to get the right part for this? Or what size orings I need?

As I've been looking at this and researching, I don't think that the loose end could cause the problem I'm having with it getting stuck in gear. The orings will probably take a lot of slop out of the shift lever, but even loose, the tip shouldn't be able to get out of the slot if they don't move when the tip isn't in it. I think maybe the springs and detents in the top end are loose and letting the shift forks move out of place.

I found a top cover small parts kit that may be what I need to replace. It would be nice to know that's what I really need before I spend the time swapping the parts into it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got some rubber washers from the local hardware store that I made work for the shifter tip. It was kinda hard to get the tip back in with the thicker and squared off washers in place, but I managed and the tip doesn't move around at all now. The shifter has much less play than before and felt good for the short trip around the back yard. I'll have to get out wheeling to get a better test.

Here is the packaging of the washers I used. I bought 2 of them, one in each slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got out wheeling a bit today. The shift lever has much less slop now and shifting seems a bit smoother. So the orings in the shifter tip were an improvement. However, the getting stuck in gear problem still exists. Luckily it happened on a dirt road. If it had happened on some of the hard stuff I tried it could have been dangerous, or at least very difficult to unstick.

The top cover small parts kit is the next step I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts