Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i already searched and didn't really fined what i was looking for, i have a '69 Bronco and am swapping out the d30 for a d44 that i'm building up, question is that the 9" is a small bearing and am wondering if it's worth putting money into or should i just pickup a BB housing and build it up?Also, are Small bearings prone to bending or anything? Or another option is to buy a Currie 9" rear but i don't want to unless i have to. What do you guys have expierence with?

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
in the early 9" housings('66-'75) there is now difference in strength between the BB and SB housing as far as bending the housing is concerned. Look here:

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/18.asp

To see what rear end you have.

you can install 31 spline shafts into a Small Bearing housing with a special bearing.

Eric

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
9 Inches are so cheap and plentiful, I wouldn't bother sinking $$ into a small bearing housing. You can pick up a later style full width 9" just about anywhere and have it cut down. 9's are one of the easiest axle to narrow. Shouldn't cost more then $150. Then pick a 31 spline locker of your choice and a few axles and you'll be in business.

I suggest running the small bearing and take as much time as you need to gather parts and build a big bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.