Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many people running rockwells with small blocks? i know big blocks would have no problem but what bout small blocks? and if so are you using auto's or standards?? thanks......doing some research for my "little" project.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
while there's a rockwell post handy....

sorry to hijack the thread, but i've got a rockwell question too. the front axles have centered pumpkins, so what are you all doing for a transfer case?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Stroker SB=more torque than stock big block.
Also, with the deep gearing of rockwells, you need something that can twist anyways. Rockwells don't weight THAT much anyways.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
how many people running rockwells with small blocks? i know big blocks would have no problem but what bout small blocks? and if so are you using auto's or standards?? thanks......doing some research for my "little" project.

I'll be running a 4cyl and standard with my rockwells.

sorry to hijack the thread, but i've got a rockwell question too. the front axles have centered pumpkins, so what are you all doing for a transfer case?

Pumpkin isnt centered, its set to the pass. side. Like in the pic.

Rockwells don't weight THAT much anyways.

Bullshit.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, good start. sorry, but i don't see why you need rockwells with a 4 cyl. you were just kidding right? i'm curious cause i have a set of GMC 2 ton axles, they only have 6.17's but i would like yous guys thoughts on how a 302 would handle a set of 44's with this gearing. i know the gears are deep, but that is a lot of gear to turn as well. give some feed back. it will all be in a ranger, so the rest of the rig will be very light. but i'm scared a 302 with an auto would not have nough ass to get around. thanks................

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
uhh the deep gearing makes your motor seem bigger, not smaller:rolleyes:

I run my original cruiser 2F and it has way more acceleration than with the stock cruiser axles...

And yes, he was serious about runnin a 4 cyl with rockwells...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i can understand the gearing helping. on to my next question them, should i beable to run a auto behind a very mild 302 and still run down the road? i can get the auto for very good price, but if it will be a dog i won't do it. thanks for your thoughts......

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
75F100 said:
ok, i can understand the gearing helping. on to my next question them, should i beable to run a auto behind a very mild 302 and still run down the road? i can get the auto for very good price, but if it will be a dog i won't do it. thanks for your thoughts......
If I understand correctly, you are asking if a small block will be able to turn the gears in the chunk? Why wouldn't it? The difference between turning gears in a small rear end and a large one are negligible. You seem surprised that someone is able to use rockwells with a 4-banger. It's no harder to turn the rockwells than it is the Toyota axles.

Now, moving the truck around because of all the extra weight, that's different. :flipoff2:

This is beginning to sound like a DAN question.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, everything in you drive train eats power. you start with your crank hp. them the power travels through your trans, in this case an auto, which eats up a % of power. next the t-case, in this case is rockwell case size takes another %, get the idea. and so on through the front and rear to the tires. each componet requires power to turn. and 44" swampers take alot. i just want to have some power left to hit the pavement, mud whut ever. so i would like all the input from people like you 350 Samurai, i asume you have a 350, rockwells and are thows 44's? but do you run an auto or stick? and if you have ever driven down the road how'd it perform? i really appricate the input guys, thanks

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
reddwarf said:

Whaaaaaat?:rolleyes:

Ok, big block = bigger bore, longer stroke (aka more cubic inches), bigger ports

How much $$$ do you have in the stroker????
I think he is compare a fairly built stroker to a stock smog era stock big block. Also not taking into account the huge torque of a big block from 1000-2500 RPM right were we need it. I would imagine a stroker making even close to big block torque would be making most of it around and above 3000

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i run 52 goodyears and michelin s with a ford 300 6 cylinder and a t 18 with a 208 t case plenty of power road manners are horrible at best 30 mph is pushing it too much death wobble even with the hydro steer

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
i run a stock 3f 6 cylinder in my cruiser, it weights in at 6k+ it woorks better with the rockwells than it every has. and i can cruise down the road better than ever. mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts