Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 54 Dodge M43 ambulance that I traded for on a whim and turns out its kinda useless, I have been kicking around the idea of repowering it and making a camper out of it.
I have been googling and searching this forum but havent found any relevant designs. I have also considered using a military trailer as part of the camper package but would like the ambulance to be able to be somewhat self contained if I didnt want to tow the trailer.
Are there any plans or pics of something like this? Ive been looking at a ton of stuff but most searches bring up outside pics or layouts of big campers
Thanks

PS im not much of a camper yet so im struggling more than a seasoned outdoorsman who already knows what they need/want in a camper.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do some googling on european designs for land cruisers, land rovers, g wagons and small trucks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
^ the above is a great source. Some of the little travel trailers might give you some good ideas as well.

I've been fucking about with a Sketchup design for a Tacoma-sized pop-up camper, and the conclusion I've come to is that if you're willing to abandon a seating area in the living quarters, it's amazing how much crap you can cram into a very small area.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think im still sucking at search, getting mostly exterior pics. I have found a few cool pictures but what i forgot to mention is I have two small kids and alot of these small designs that ive seen are geared towards one and two person sleeping (which makes total sense)
I will keep looking and thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I highly recommend Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers Index page , as a basis for builds and camping questions. Many builds are based off of a 4x8 harborfreight trailer. While they tow their small campers the building practices, small footprint, and general ideas are easily carried over to a small motor home style build.

This design could be adapted quite well and depending on cabinets and the floor plan, could sleep four people easily.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42096

1 - 7 of 7 Posts