Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is yall's opinion/experiece on the smallest lift possible to run 42's on a trail truck.......73-91 truck/k5/burban?

Massive fender timming is allowed and encouraged:D, and I like low COGs.

Thanks for any stories/advice/opinions/flaming

Justin

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, lets throw this into the mix.....the motor is a 6.2 and (I believe) weighs more than a small block....will 4inchers cut it, or will I need a 6in. spring?

A friend of mine ran 44" boggers with a 4in. lift and MASSIVE;) hacking.....just looking for more info.

Thanks again,

Justin

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've seen pics of 44's with no lift. Anything is possible! Try moving the front axle forward to help clear the firewall. O, and make sure to get pics when your done!

·
Registered
392 Posts
no lift.... lots of "trimming"

4" lift .... seen it done with 44's and a little less "trimming" than above

6" lift .... refer to the above but with less "trimming"

8" lift .... again, refer to above with minor "trimming"

12" lift .... no "trimming" needed but too tall for street use.

i have 8-9" with some trimming on the rear of the front fenders and some trimming on the bed with 44's and i'm a couple inches over legal limit of 30" @ frame and 54" @ headlight here in CA.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
i have a pretty flexy rig, and with 5" of lift my 40's are mm's away from hitting.

To have a flexy rig and 42, you'd probably have to move the anxle forward a bit, and then you'd be good to go.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have a K5 with the 6.2L and 4" Skyjacker softride springs. There does not seem to be any obvious sagging on the front springs with the diesel even after 6 years and 30,000 miles. With 4" blocks on the back the front still sits higher.

The total amount of lift and trimming is kinda dependent on how much flex (obviously in regards to compression travel) you want. With a 4" lift and front Dana 60 (equivalent to about 1" lift as compared to the stock Dana 44 or 10-bolt), I had to do quite a bit of trimming to clear 13/38-16 TSLs on 16x10 rims. The inner fenders are cut back to the firewall, and the seam that runs vertically on the firewall had to be sliced and hammered flat to clear under a full lock turn and full stuff. The springs are well broken in, the swaybar has been removed, and it has greasable bushings (yes, they did make a difference) so it flexes reasonably well. I would think that anything bigger would most likely require the front axle being moved forward for more firewall clearance, or some sort of firewall modification.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have New 42" Super Swampers on 5-6" lift, with the rear rim backspaced even with the front to clear the wheeltubs. I used Yunits dimensions to cut the fenders....pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great.....keep them coming

Here's my situation.....I'm putting this rig together for cheap to wheel while I finish my jeep, axles and tires are being borrowed from jeep so:

1984 6.2 Suburban
d60 front 4.56 gears limited slip
14bolt rear from a van (69 in. wms to wms) 4.56 gears detriot
42's on 15x10's with 3in. of back spacing

I have a used pair of 4in. front leaf packs, I'm thinking maybe an add-a-leaf into them and then shackle flip the rear with add-a-leaves and leave the rest to Mr. Plasma torch:D

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Here's my 76 K5 with 4" springs, no front clip and 42's. The rear fenders are chopped pretty good now, the pictures don't show the trimming..

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KidJethro......Looks awsome! Do the 42's rub the firewall with the 4in. springs?

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
LOL....Wish I could tell ya- I havent driven it since January. It still sits exactly as you see it in the pictures, awaiting motor work. :( :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I run 42s with 4" lift. Had to move the axle forward 2" minimum with some minor firewall mods and it worked fine. Now my axle is about 4-4.5" forward with more movement and no interference.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BadDog.....did you redrill your centerpins, or move the hangers, or what did you do to move the axle forward?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I started with 2" offset plates (like ORD's "zero rates"). I have since relocated the entire spring pack and build several different "custom" spring packs. The current setup results in a net offset of roughly 4.5".

If starting over, I would do this in the reverse order. First, figure out what spring packs you will use and relocate the front mount to position the tire where you want it. Then, relocate the rear mount so that you can get a decent shackle angle and travel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
6 inches lift, 2 inches forwards, 44 inch boggers.
took a lot of hacking the firewall cause I ran the 62 inch rear springs so it will flex up quite far.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have New 42" Super Swampers on 5-6" lift, with the rear rim backspaced even with the front to clear the wheeltubs. I used Yunits dimensions to cut the fenders....pictures up tomorrow.
tomarrow:rolleyes:

any others? pics?

Justin

·
Registered
345 Posts
Justin, I just got a line on an '83 'burban 6.2L 4x4 for $500. I gotta wait until the end of the month to get it, but I'll be doing something very similar to what you are, probably just gonna use my 35's that I have now. 4" lift, will that clear those 35's, although i'd eventually like to step up to either a 40 or 42" bogger, so i'd have to relocate that front axle forward to avoid cutting up the firewall?

I'd like to junk the 1/2 ton axles and get the 14B FF rear with 4.56's or 5.12's / Detroit. Also would like to put a D60 up front, matching gears and a locker... I'm wondering how much I could get the used axles and Gears for? Total cost? I'd like to use this as a camping/wheeling/towing rig.

Any help is appreciated...I can't wait until the 1st of June...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts